Dealing with the chinese phone providers

For all those techno questions

Dealing with the chinese phone providers

Postby Suff » 03 May 2017, 09:18

Back in December, when I dropped my bike on the M1, I smashed the screen of my phone against my hip. It still worked but reading it in sunlight was a bit of a pain. So I bought another one from Amazon. It had one issue which was that, sometimes, it was a touch difficult to unlock as it took a firm press to recognise the pin number.

A few weeks ago the bottom half of the screen stopped responding. So I checked with Amazon and it seems my 90 day replacement guarantee had expired and I had to take a repair. OK I wasn't that worried. Then they asked me to do some tests on the phone. I had already bought an adapter which would let me plug a PC keyboard into the phone so I was able to unlock the phone and do the tests.

Then the pain started. I hadn't done the test properly.... etc...

I thought about this for a while then I responded.

"I m unable to do the test "properly" as the screen is broken; do I need to go and buy a replacement screen on Aliexpress and leave a poor review on Amazon??"

This morning I have a reply. Would I like to have the replacement screen sent to me, for a repair shop to install, or would I like to send my phone back for repair? If I send it back It will take 30 days, 15 in each direction.

I chose to have the screen sent to me. I'll do the installation.

They should have offered this to me immediately I sent the first picture with the top right quadrant of the screen as the only response zone. Ah well, the end result is fine but I would be receiving the screen next week instead of in two weeks.

Very sensitive to comments on Amazon these Chinese manufacturers.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Re: Dealing with the chinese phone providers

Postby Workingman » 03 May 2017, 19:32

Some companies......

My Citizen EcoDrive titanium watch with unscratchable glass got a scratch. The problem was that with the scratch it was not recharging as it should and I was having to leave it in a sunny place for hours on end.

It was out of guarantee, but the glass was described in all the bumpf as 'unscratchable' so in the end I took it for a repair. It was going to cost a fortune, despite my claims that it was 'not fit for purpose' as advertised, so I walked away. I then tried to buff out the scratch but got no joy, then I had a think.

The letter to the head honcho of Citizen UK simply mentioned the law, trading standards, the media, Which? Anne Robinson..... The reply was short and to the point. It had a little packet with a new glass in it for me to have fitted at my leisure.

The moral of both our stories is for people not to take the first contact as the end of the matter. Just be polite, but forceful. Companies are not daft, they know when they are pulling a fast one, but like to keep it to themselves. They do not want the lid blowing off.
Workingman

Re: Dealing with the chinese phone providers

Postby Suff » 04 May 2017, 09:23

Also, I think, they appreciate the people who do not immediately jump on twitter and star a flame war. Once you have started the flame war, it is very hard to step back from it.

But, as you say, in both cases there was a liability from the manufacturer and they did, in the end, step up to the plate.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc