Query about ransomware

For all those techno questions

Query about ransomware

Postby TheOstrich » 15 May 2017, 21:13

I keep a lot of "documents" (Word, Excel) on a USB drive which is permanently plugged into the desktop, and I operate on / update those docs there, rather than on the C Drive.

In the event of a ransomware attack like we've just seen, could I just remove that USB device and plug it in to a subsequently-cleaned computer, or would those USB files also have been "encrypted" ?

(I do make back-up copies of the first USB on a second USB device which is then removed and stored, but somewhat infrequently - so I guess I'm asking should I do it more often?)
TheOstrich

Re: Query about ransomware

Postby Suff » 16 May 2017, 17:17

I've never seen it working Ossie, but the rule of thumb is that if it can be seen it can be encrypted. If you want to be totally sure that it's protected it needs to be switched off when not actively in use being backed up.

In answer to the other question, so long as you have all the data you need and know where it came from, then, yes, it can just be copied back. However it's unlikely you have your mail settings for any mail app backed up or some of your more useful browsing history. Unless you have taken quite a few steps to do that.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Re: Query about ransomware

Postby TheOstrich » 16 May 2017, 19:18

Thanks, Suff
TheOstrich

Return to Computers etc