Email problem

For all those techno questions

Email problem

Postby cruiser2 » 25 May 2017, 13:43

I have had my computer for several years. I have W10. Use Total Security. CCleaner and Malwarebytes regularly. No viruses have been detected.
Yesterday, tried to log on to one of my email accounts. This is b#####@outlook.com. I put in the correct email address and the correct pass word which I used on Wednesday without any problem.
But I keep getting re-directed to the sign in page. Have tried switching everything off overnight but am still getting the same result.
Funny thing I can access the b####@oultook.com using my laptop and the wireless connection. So the fault must be in my computer.
No problem with gmail.com or gmx.com. Can access them as normal and send and receive emails.
Can also access web sited such as this.
Wanted to take it to the local computer shop which I use but it is shut till Tuesday.
Any advice much appreciated
cruiser2

Re: Email problem

Postby Suff » 25 May 2017, 15:03

Hi cruiser, I'm assuming you are trying to use webmail.

What page are you trying to log in from? I tried going to oulook.com which tried to redirect me to outlook.live.com which is an invalid domain now. Trying login.live.com produces a page and this allows me to log into my Hotmail account.

There is one thing you can try.

On both the desktop and the laptop open a command prompt (Winkey+r then enter cmd.exe in the dialog and press enter). Type nslookup and wait for the prompt.

Then enter the same address you use to access the mail on each computer. You should get a 12 digit number with dots (IP address), in the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx the number should be the same returned by both machines.

If you are getting a different IP address on the desktop that could be the problem.

Worth checking that each machine is returning the same site first.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 25 May 2017, 15:54

Another possibility....

I have an xxxxxx@live.co.uk address and I use an email client to download emails. Every so often, about 72 days, I get a message saying something like user and password not accepted. I then have to go to Outlook.com and sign in manually and/or reset password.

It is a throw-away account so I have two passwords and I just alternate between them when I have to change. Once done I am good for another 72 days.
Workingman

Postby cruiser2 » 25 May 2017, 19:05

WM,
Have tried to follow your instructions but am still not getting anywhere.
Where is "Winkey"? Is it just one key or do I have to type: W i n k e y separately?
It seems I will have to keep using my laptop to get into outlook.
Will wait till Tuesday and take it to my local computer shop. He is very good and not expensive. It will be worth the wait.
Many thanks for your replies including Suff.
cruiser2

Postby Workingman » 25 May 2017, 19:46

Cruiser, the Winkey is on the bottom row, 2nd or 3rd in, but if you have a man with some RAM it is probably best for you to now use him.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 25 May 2017, 21:48

Sorry the winkey is the key with the windows flag on it known as the Windows key. If you have a much older keyboard it may not have one.
Suff

Postby cruiser2 » 30 May 2017, 13:59

Took my computer to the local computer shop this morning.
Took him about five minutes to fix the problem.
Only cost £10.00.
He must be good as two more customers came in while he was working on mine. One was to put a new programme on a laptop.The other was about a fault on the screen on a laptop.
I can walk to the shop in five minutes but it is too far to carry the computer.
WM & Suff.
Thank you again for your help.
cruiser2

Postby Suff » 30 May 2017, 18:10

Cruiser, the main thing is that it's fixed. If it only took 10 minutes then it was likely to be a configuration change which simply needed to be changed back.
Suff

Return to Computers etc