Weak router password

For all those techno questions

Re: Weak router password

Postby Workingman » 14 Jul 2017, 10:16

Suff, I understand what you are suggesting, but as a TT customer I can say that they are not that interested. We end up talking with customer services reps somewhere in Asia and they do not have the technical expertise to fully understand, just a script to run through.

Gal, re posts. If you compose them in something like notepad you can copy and paste them into the posting form. If the link drops out and the post gets lost in the intersphere you still have the notepad copy to use again rather than having to do a re-write. Works for all boards inc FB, twitter, VV etc. I use that trick all the time. ;) 8-) 8-)

I used it for this post. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Re: Weak router password

Postby Suff » 14 Jul 2017, 16:19

Yep I know WM, customer lack of service and less than minimal concern. Twitter seems to be a good medium to get ISP focus right now as thousands with the same problem jump on and attack the company in sympathy. I know that a few EU ISP's have been beefing up their Twitter teams at the expense of traditional phoneline teams.

Gal, there is one way of checking if it's the wifi in your router. But it depends if you can get your hands on another wifi access point??

If you have access to another router or, better, a wifi access point, you can plug that into your Ethernet cable and connect to the second wifi. If it never drops out you know it's the wifi in your router.

I have disabled the wifi in my Orange Livebox and I use my own three aerial A/C router to push the wifi signal round the house. It is faster, has longer range and is more reliable. Also the Livebox doesn't bork itself every 3-4 months with wifi off.

For testing, if you don't have one, I have one of these. If you don't want it from China, you have to pay a bit more.

They are designed to take a 3g/4g wifi stick and share it with all your devices, but they also share your internet over the cable.

Personally I think the only way you're going to prove this to TT is to have a separate wifi feed, switch the wifi off on the router and run it for a time. If it then works and is stable, then you have grounds to demand a new router.

Depends whether it's worth £6/£9 just to test it and the time to do the work or whether you want to keep on bashing away at TT??

It is like what I did for Ria when her modem had a board fault and kept failing. I brought over my own router and we plugged it in and checked the signal and diagnostics, we didn't have the password, but we needed to prove the line was fine. Then I talked to the Sky support person and had a new router sent.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Previous

Return to Computers etc