No response

For all those techno questions

No response

Postby Diflower » 05 Jul 2017, 11:18

Am usually quite good at sorting any problems but was befuddled this morning.
Switched on Pc, all looked fine but nothing responding.
Usually it's because it's doing an update- it didn't seem to be but I couldn't get the task manager. Then I did get it by right-clicking, but nothing was using any power :?

Re-booted, obviously...just the same.
Finally Bb said, what if it's the mouse? - we're clicking and getting nothing, but that right-click worked :idea:
Yep, as simple as that!
Except we plugged in the new mouse - which came with the new keyboard I bought not long ago, and decided to get the one with a mouse because of sod's law ;) and it wouldn't recognise it...plugged into a different usb - success :D
Diflower

Re: No response

Postby Suff » 05 Jul 2017, 11:47

Very good Di.

If you suspect the mouse, you can press the windows key on the keyboard and the windows menu will come up. If you don't have a windows key, Ctrl-Esc will do the same. That will let you launch apps and check them.

Alt Tab gets you between running apps. Winkey and T will get you to the taskbar and you can use the cursor keys to move around the apps.

It's useful to know when you lose the mouse from time to time.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Diflower » 05 Jul 2017, 12:18

Thanks Suff, I knew you could do that but not which buttons to press :D
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 06 Jul 2017, 12:57

I am working with an 82 years young lady as part of my volunteering work. She has a tiny mouse with little physical feedback so when she clicks on things sometimes nothing happens. I suggested to her daughter that a new mouse might be in order.

A few days later I got a phone call to tell me that the new mouse could not be found and would not work so they had gone back to the old one.

The next time I visited her the new wireless mouse and dongle were on the table so I plugged the dongle in. Windows did its thing but there was no response. I turned the mouse over and made sure it was turned on - no response and no life signs. I took off the battery cover to find no batteries. :o When I looked in the mouse box there was a moulded cradle for the mouse to sit on and underneath were two pristine batteries still in their plastic wrap, so in go the batteries and all is fine. :D

Sometimes it is the simple things.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby Suff » 06 Jul 2017, 14:46

Workingman wrote:Sometimes it is the simple things.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is indeed. Here it is the heat. Which fried one of my servers motherboards; that was only 2 years old... I replaced it with the old one out of my other server; that failed due to a power supply dying and taking out the video card. Miraculously it has recovered the ability to use all it's hard drives..

Bemused... :? :? :?
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc