Free Anti-virus/malware suites. New kids on the block.

For all those techno questions

Re: Free Anti-virus/malware suites. New kids on the block.

Postby Workingman » 17 Dec 2017, 11:10

AliasAggers wrote:What's wrong with Windows Defender?

Nothing! If you only go to mainstream sites and want basic protection from malware, spyware and viruses. It is built in to Windows and gets turned on at every start and being Windows centric it works well with IE11 and Edge. In AV tests it usually comes somewhere in the middle, so not useless, but not the best, and it lacks some of the bells and whistles of commercial products and their 'free' versions such as phishing and banking protection, but as Suff says as start point is it fine.

Where it starts to fall down for me is when I go link-hopping, and we all can fall into doing it. I will be on a known safe site reading an article/product, which has links to other articles/products, and so does the new place and then the next. It does not take many steps to be drawn in to one of the Internet's dark alleys. I know from experience that a decent AV suite will offer me some protection, I am not that confident that Win Defender would.

Horses for courses and all that.

We posted at the same time Aggers. The card is an excellent idea for banking and shopping, I do the same, but it is still not protecting your computer from viruses etc. in the same way as even Avast! or AVG would. Having said that, if you are a careful user of the Internet is should be fine.
Workingman

Re: Free Anti-virus/malware suites. New kids on the block.

Postby Suff » 18 Dec 2017, 11:21

Aggers, I have started using an online pre pay card to control what is done on the internet. I put in a few pence more than the actual transaction and make the payment. It is specifically for sites which I feel might start trying to take payments illegally and I just don't want to be policing my card for this every month.

It was either that or Bitcon and since I lost my (almost) 1 bitcoin (current value $10,000), in an internet smash and grab, I've been wary of it. Although I do wonder about my manager in BOC who bought £2,000 worth of Bitcoin at $40 each....
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Previous

Return to Computers etc