Windows 10 again

For all those techno questions

Windows 10 again

Postby medsec222 » 26 Feb 2018, 21:21

Not sure if anyone can help with this one. I have a new laptop with Windows 10. For my work I need to download the software from the company which supplies my work and install my olympus foot pedal. I have worked with this company for over five years and installed the foot pedal on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 without a problem.

The software downloads to the full 60 MB but when I try to install it it stops at 21 MB and a message comes up installation failed.

The Company concerned tell me they have checked their software and all is OK. Because I have only just bought my laptop I telephoned PC World and they suggested taking it back to the original factory model. They talked me through this. I then installed chrome so I could access my work and download the software. Again it did not work. As a double check I downloaded the software to an old laptop with Windows 8.1 on it and it worked.

I am totally at a loss. Any hints would help.
medsec222

Re: Windows 10 again

Postby Suff » 27 Feb 2018, 13:43

Hi Medsec,

What is your anti virus solution on the new laptop? Can you get into the console and see if it has any log messages saying that it blocked something.

That's likely to be the most obvious thing first of all. I spent all weekend getting software off two DVD's I have due to a combination of AV issues and my laptop not reading the DVD correctly.

Also, is it possible for you to download the software on the old machine and then copy it to the new one and run it?
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby medsec222 » 27 Feb 2018, 16:29

I have free avast antivirus. I took it off my computer and tried again. The foot pedal programme does download and then starts to install but does not complete. There are no messages saying anything has been blocked. There is a McKie firewall, dont know if it is this. I dont have McKie antivirus. I have spent ages puzzling about what should be a simple download
medsec222

Postby medsec222 » 27 Feb 2018, 20:38

Hi Suff - just an update regarding my difficulties with the software download/upload. I actually went onto the HP support website and they took over my computer and tried to upload the foot pedal sofware. They were unsuccessful and they gave me a link to Microsoft. They also took over my computer and they also failed. They came to the conclusion that the foot pedal software was not compatible with windows 10. DICT8 have said their software is OK but if HP cant upload it and Microsoft cant upload it, then the conclusion is obvious.

Anyway, I have been trying for a fortnight and so I have now given up. If I want to do work for DICT8 while I am away I will use the old laptop. Thanks for all your help with computer problems.
medsec222

Postby Suff » 28 Feb 2018, 20:35

Hi Medsec,

That leaves me wondering about two things.

First is whether Microsoft tried compatibility mode. The second is to understand if the old laptop is 32 bit, as the new one is virtually certain to be 64 bit. There are still plenty of apps which only work on 32 bit windows out there. 32 bit windows 10 would work perfectly but 64 bit might be an issue.

Normally that can be worked around in compatibility mode. But it takes a bit of fiddling. It might be worth checking with the application creator though.

You can find out if the OS is 32 bit or 64 bit by looking at the computer properties.

Start->Control Panel->System and Security. Then click on the System icon.

In the System section, about 1/3 of the way down, it will have an entry of System Type. Mine says 64 bit operating system. However I've just had to strip my netbook down to windows 7 as it is the only 32 bit operating system I have left. I have an app which will only work on 64 bit windows and I needed a machine for it to run on as it will be taken outside and plugged into my car.

Worth checking.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby medsec222 » 28 Feb 2018, 21:14

Thanks suff - I will check that out in the morning. I also work for another transcription company and I have downloaded express scribe and switch. I will be attempting to install the foot pedal to that system tomorrow. Should be fun.
medsec222

Return to Computers etc