Secure connection

For all those techno questions

Secure connection

Postby cruiser2 » 02 Mar 2018, 08:57

When I am logging in and start typing my user name and password, I get a message " This connection is not secure. Logins entered here could be compromised. Learn more"
This does not happen with any other sites where I have to log in.
Anybody else have this problem?
cruiser2

Re: Secure connection

Postby Workingman » 02 Mar 2018, 13:30

Cruiser, are you talking about VV or sites in general?

There are two protocols: one is HTTP and is insecure, it is used for general logins where no personal sensitive information is to be used - message boards etc. The other is HTTPS, which is secure and where sensitive information is required, such as banking, online shopping etc.

Firefox and Chrome (and clones) have recently been pushing this warning for all logins which do not use HTTPS to make people aware of the general risks.

It is not a 'problem' with VV as it has never asked you for an personal details such as bank acc numbers, CC numbers or NI numbers.

If you look in the address bar of sites you are visiting you will see either a green padlock or some other icon, usually on the left, depending on the browser. The padlock, if locked, shows a secure site and its login is encrypted, anything else and the site's login is not encrypted. If you are doing online shopping etc and you do not see the locked padlock, go somewhere else.

In the old days a click in the address bar would show the full path to a site, including whether HTTP or HTTPS was being used, but if people did not know the difference this information was useless. The new system is supposed to be more user friendly.
Workingman

Postby cruiser2 » 02 Mar 2018, 14:08

Suff,
Thank you for your reply.
I use W10 and Firefox.
I am very careful which sites I use.
I do internet banking. I change my pass words for it every six months.
I am the only one who uses this computer and so far have not had a virus attack.
cruiser2

Postby Suff » 02 Mar 2018, 15:27

That was WM, not me. He'd know as I don't use FF or Chrome unless I really need to.

I have seen the message from time to time but, as WM says, this is simply saying that you're not using SSL (HTTPS), to secure your password.

The reason it is saying this is that anyone on the network, monitoring traffic to the server you are trying to log into, will see your password in plain text. So it depends on how important that login is.

For instance if you are using a mail address and password you use for something important, you should not use it on a site which is http only. If it is noddy@toytown.com with the password GoToHell, it's not likely that you will care...
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 02 Mar 2018, 20:01

Suff, FF and Chrome, and their clones, have been doing it for a while, even Edge has got in on the act though not as intrusively. It has a set and forget mode at the bottom of the page. FF and Chrome need a bit more work atm which is a bit of a faff and tbh if it is not bothering anyone it is just as easy to OK the pop-up and carry on.

There are fixes in the about:config pages but for most people they are not worth the effort.

The main thing is that people recognise when they are in secure pages and if not to never, ever, give out personal details such as CC or bank details.
Workingman

Return to Computers etc