Looking for help again

For all those techno questions

Looking for help again

Postby medsec222 » 05 Mar 2018, 14:53

I have read that i can transfer my custom directory in Word from my PC to my new laptop. I know how to get to proofing and then the custom directory. I am not sure what to do after that, so if anyone can talk me through this very simply that would be great. I have built up a lot of medical words, medications etc on my word spell and to transfer it over would be very helpful.
medsec222

Re: Looking for help again

Postby Suff » 05 Mar 2018, 20:17

Hi Medsec,

I had a look myself before trying the web, because I know quite a lot about Word and it's custom dictionaries. However my setup is not quite standard as I have had multiple versions of office on it.

There is an article here which discusses the simple bits.

My one in the Uproof folder had a list of 3 words in it.

However, in Windows Explorer (windows7, File explorer in 10), if you back out of the Uproof folder and open the Office folder in the same tree, you will find at least one set of numbers. I have 15.0 and 16.0. In each of those folders are two additional folders consisting of 8 letters and numbers. Inside that folder is a proofing folder and inside the proofing folder is a RoamingCustom.dic file. The one mentioned in the picture in the link I sent you. Across those 4 roaming custom dictionary are all the words I have saved.

The easiest way, I find, to deal with this, is to open the custom.dic file in Word. Then open each RoamingCustom.dic file in turn and copy the words from it into the custom.dic.

You can then follow the instructions in the link and point it at your "newly enlarged" custom.dic file.

As an example, my custom.dic file is in

C:\Users\[profilename]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof where [profilename] is the name of the account I log in with.

My roaming custom dictionaries are in

C:\Users\[profilename]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office\15.0\6f6cf5d8\Proofing
C:\Users\[profilename]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office\15.0\261b46f3\Proofing
C:\Users\[profilename]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office\16.0\9eed9f0e\Proofing
C:\Users\[profilename]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office\16.0\b92b0952\Proofing

Respectively.

If your original word is older, then this link might be better and you may not need to worry about the roaming dictionary.

Let us know if you have any issues. It should be simple but, as usual with Microsoft, it is not.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby medsec222 » 05 Mar 2018, 20:33

Thanks Suff - I think my copy of word on the PC is about three years old. I will have a look at it tomorrow. I worry I might do something irreversible with my meddling, but it would be so helpful to transfer my dictionary over to the laptap. :)
medsec222

Postby medsec222 » 05 Mar 2018, 21:23

Hi Suff - I've got to the bit where it says roaming customer directory and custom directory, but I don't know what to do from there.
medsec222

Postby Suff » 06 Mar 2018, 11:07

I'll have to look at it tonight. Full day at work today.
Suff

Postby AliasAggers » 06 Mar 2018, 16:27

medsec222 wrote: I think my copy of word on the PC is about three years old.

Suff.....
I just spotted that remark, and it set me thinking. I installed and paid for WORD in January last year,
but they charged a further annual fee of about £50 this January. Is this the usual practice? If so,one
would surely expect your installation to be automatically updated at that point.
There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.
AliasAggers

Postby Workingman » 06 Mar 2018, 19:46

Unfortunately, Aggers, it looks as though you did not 'buy' your Office (Word) Suite, you 'subscribed' to use it and that costs you annually about £55.

If you wish to unsubscribe (or cancel, as we say) you get 90 days to back up all your files out of the office folders and move them elsewhere. After that nothing works and you will need an alternative office suite.

Meds, when it comes to user dictionaries mine is called Frank's and all I do is copy and paste it wherever I like. However, that is al I will say as I do not wish to confuse things.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 06 Mar 2018, 19:49

WM, I was about to reply exactly the same thing.

MS do sell word but it is £109.99 just for Word itself.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 06 Mar 2018, 19:54

Suff, I just purchased SoftMaker Office with five licences and three years of upgrades for $29.99. It is 100% compatible with MS 2016 and older and comes with word processor, spreadsheet, presentation and a basic maker for repeating tasks.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 06 Mar 2018, 20:39

Ok Medsec,

I need to know where you got to.

Did you copy your old dictionary file to a temporary storage area?

From there I can move on. This is a real pain with Word 2016, it wants to be clever and I just need dumb..

Let me know and I can give more instructions. On looking again this article has made many assumptions which it should not have.
Suff

Next

Return to Computers etc