Looking for help again

For all those techno questions

Re: Looking for help again

Postby Suff » 06 Mar 2018, 20:44

Workingman wrote:Suff, I just purchased SoftMaker Office with five licences and three years of upgrades for $29.99. It is 100% compatible with MS 2016 and older and comes with word processor, spreadsheet, presentation and a basic maker for repeating tasks.

Yes MS has a real lock on it. They always did. What Aggers has though is the full office suite for PC, Tablet and mobile plus a 1TB onedrive account. Free updates forever, so long as you pay of course....

Oh and a 50gb outlook.com mailbox too.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Suff » 07 Mar 2018, 01:58

OK I've had enough with web articles that don't tell you half of what you have to do. This is going to be VERY LONG. Please read carefully.

Open Word on the old machine, go to File and Options. Click on proofing.

Click on Custom dictionaries.

Select the custom.dic entry then highlight the File path: text (click and drag the mouse) then once it is selected, right click on it and select Copy.

Press and hold the windows key. It will either look like a flag or 4 squares. At the same time press the R key (winkey+R). You will get the run dialog box up in it. Right click in the text box and select Paste. You will see the following.

Press enter and it will open your dictionary folder in Windows Explorer.

Note your path will be different to mine but the file should be found.

Now I have used a USB key as it is the simplest way to copy files between two machines. The usb key is always added to the send to menu so.

Right click on the custom file and select send to and select your usb key. It will be different on each machine as you will see. On this machine it is F:

Click on the USB key icon (You see this as the Grey bar in the left hand pane directly uner Amiloxa).
In the right hand pane, amongst my other files, you see the file custom.

Right Click on the file. Select Rename and rename it to something else. In this case I have used old as a prefix. Sorry didn't capture that part.

Take the USB key out of that machine and plug it into the new machine.

On the new machine, open word, go to File->Options->Proofing and click on the Custom dictionaries as you did on the old machine. Then select the custom.dic dictionary entry and highlight the File path: text again. Right click on it and select copy. Exactly as you did in the first few steps.

It is subtle but the file path is different.

Press Winkey+R again and paste the text into the box. Press enter

You are now looking at the Uproof (custom dictionary directory) on the new machine. Note my USB key has now become E: instead of F: as it is in a new machine which has different drives.

Keep this Explorer window open. Press Winkey+R again and in the dialog box type Explorer and press enter.

if you can, put the two windows side by side.

The original image was too big but can be found here

Right click on the old custom dictionary (in my case oldCUSTOM) and select copy

Again the original image was too big and can be found here

Go to the first explorer window you opened (the one pointing to Uproof) and right click on some white space and select Paste.

You now have the old and new dictionaries on the new machine.

Go back to word, File->Options->Proofing click on Custom Dictionaries to get the dialog box up. Make sure you select the custom.dic entry. This is important as I've used Word 2013 for this but 2016 is slightly different and you need to select it.

Click on Add.

You will see that it points to the Uproof directory and the new file is there, right where you put it.

Select the new dictionary file and click on open.

It will return to the last dialog box. Highlight the new dictionary and click on Change Default. You will see that the dictionary gets the (default) entry next to it and will be used as the default dictionary.

OK out and you are done....
Suff

Postby medsec222 » 07 Mar 2018, 10:27

Thanks Suff - will look this morning. It all looks very scary - my hair has gone a little bit more grey! :D
medsec222

Postby Suff » 07 Mar 2018, 12:47

It is like eating the Elephant. :D
Suff

Postby medsec222 » 07 Mar 2018, 14:02

I made a good start and got as far as typing in Explorer. After that no joy - the two screens that came up didnt look like your screens. They were the desktop, downloads, documents screen. I have abandoned for now but it may be all I need to do is click to get the right screen. Will await your advice, as I think I am nearly there. I need a magnifying glass! :D
medsec222

Postby medsec222 » 07 Mar 2018, 15:46

I think I have done it suff. All was as you said but the last two screens looked different. I did note the change to E. from F. so I knew I was on the right tracks. Although the screens looked different I followed your instructions regardless with copy and paste. I thought I had renamed my custom dictionary to medCUSTOM but it came up as CUSTOM copy. Anyway I pressed on and hoped for the best. I brought a document up and typed a deliberate spelling of one of the medications i knew would be in the dictionary and it came up with the correct spelling. So I think this is a success. Thanks for your help.
medsec222

Postby Suff » 07 Mar 2018, 16:06

Excellent, very well done.

I know it looked daunting, but that was the number of pictures. The pictures were there so I didn't have to write 100 lines of text.

In reality it was about 5 minutes work. To do the copy and add.

I suspect you forgot to press enter after the rename. We all do that from time to time. Windows makes a copy anyway as you found.

For me, I had to resurrect two virtual machines, fix the corrupted one, make two new profiles, find and install my copies of office 2013, then do all the screen shots.

Given that you were able to get it done, that was all well worth it.

Apologies for using so many shortcuts you might not know, but I did not feel that it would help by trying to explain where windows explorer is in each os. Explorer.exe is the same in all Windows and if you call it direct then you don't need to know where MS hid the icon in each os.

Again it is really good to know it helped.
Suff

Postby medsec222 » 07 Mar 2018, 16:12

You gave me exactly the right information which was easy to follow. Working from home is fine, but I do miss working alongside others who can help and guide. I will keep the instructions in a safe place, because I only have the 12 months Word and will need to buy the Student Word next year. You are a good instructor to the uninitiated such as myself, and you have have taken a lot of trouble to help me out. I hope I don't become your regular pest! :D
medsec222

Postby Suff » 07 Mar 2018, 17:58

I doubt you'll be a pest. Clearly willing to give it a go.

As WM will tell you it is good to help when you see someone get something done by themselves, with a bit of help.

I don't do this any more but I used to do this a long, long, time ago. Fixing the mess on my laptop was a bit of a drag but, again, it needed to be done and I found my old TechNet office DVD images lurking in a backup where I might have lost them. Now they are visible and they won't be lost.

So, in the end, it was a win-win proposition.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 07 Mar 2018, 20:58

What a faff....

Al I do is make sure I am logged in as admin on both machines then... insert USB drive in old machine.

Open Explorer and go to View from the menu then View tab from the new window then tick Show hidden files, folders and drives. Apply and OK out. Go to C:/Users>:>>Me>>>AppData>>>Roaming>>>Microsoft>>> right click and Copy the UProof folder>>>Go to the USB drive>>>Right click and Paste>>>Eject.

Go to new machine and insert the USB drive. Do all of the above but when you get to "right click and Copy the UProof folder": stop! This time open the folder and rename all the files in it with the extension .old>>>Go to the USB drive>>>Open the UProof folder you pasted there and copy all the files in it as is>>>Go to the UProof folder where you just renamed the files .old and paste the new USB files. Back out to the C:/ drive.

Open Word and it should find the new versions of the dictionaries - i.e. the (old) ones you copied and pasted as (new ones), if not point it to the one you want.

And yes, as Suff says, we do get a warm glow when these things work.
Workingman

PreviousNext

Return to Computers etc