medsec222

Re: Looking for help again

Postby Workingman » 07 Mar 2018, 22:08

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby Suff » 08 Mar 2018, 14:27

Workingman wrote:What a faff....

Al I do is make sure I am logged in as admin on both machines then... insert USB drive in old machine.

Open Explorer

Yep, I understood every word of that.

I took some shortcuts because I know meds is a competent user.

However I am painfully aware that I grew up with Windows 3.1. Internet Explorer did not exist and "sending a memo" constituted writing on a memo pad and putting it into an envelope.

Now I know my father would understand your instructions too and he is in his early 80's. However I have been training my father for 25 years and he started on W3.1.

So let us look at the statements above.

We shall call the person using the computer the "user" for simplicity.

User "what is Admin?"
Well if you open the control panel
User "what is the control panel"?
It is on the Start Menu.
User "what is the start menu?"
It is that button in the left hand corner. Unless you have Windows 8.x or are in tablet mode. It looks like a flag with 4 colours on a circle. Or if you are using Windows 10 it looks like an oblong made of four geometric shapes but if you squint really hard it kind of looks like a black and white Windows flag...
User "oh, OK, but I can't find it"
Right, you need to open the all apps, I tell you what, scroll down till you find the line with all on it because Microsoft has 3 names for it but they all have all in the name.
User "OK now I have a long list"
Scroll down to the bottom and click on the one with windows system on it. When it expands click on the control panel.
User "right I have this screen with lots of icons"
OK click on the security one, click on the user one, click to the left hand side on the Families one. Now look at the list and find the name you log in with. Does it say Administrator underneath it.

The above is out of memory on my Mobile with no visual reference. But you get the gist.

The next line is Explorer. No, not Internet explorer, Windows explorer or File explorer if you are using Windows 8 or above.

I haven't even touched the difference between the original W10 start menu and the first fall creators update menu, or the search bar being there or not or whether Cortana is lurking to do the Search thing.

We are at line 2 two seconds into the instructions.

I find screenshot and keyboard shortcuts are invaluable when people are not sure and between the bewildering differences between MS visual clues in Windows.

You will have noted I used W7 as the source machine and W10 for the target to try and mimic the environment meds has.

The above is a very sad off take of the situation.

I hope I didn't upset anyone, but there is more than a kernel of truth in my sarcasm.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 08 Mar 2018, 14:41

Not in the slightest bit upset... I was just thinking aloud. Oh, and in text. ;) :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Previous

Return to Computers etc