Computers are a mystery

For all those techno questions

Computers are a mystery

Postby medsec222 » 15 Aug 2018, 12:57

I still work from home. I need to download foot pedal software to transcribe work from one of the companies I work for. I have installed the foot pedal several years ago on my PC using Windows 8 and also on my laptop using Windows 8. Since buying a new laptop a couple of months ago I have been unable to install the foot pedal software, Windows 10. I have contacted the company for feedback and they assure me that they have many workers who have upgraded to Windows 10 and have successfully installed the software. As they run a business which is dependent on transcribers I am sure this is quite correct. So why wont the software install on my laptop? Does anyone have any ideas?
medsec222

Re: Computers are a mystery

Postby Workingman » 15 Aug 2018, 19:09

Meds, you could try this if you have the full software installer package.

Disconnect from the Internet. Exit your Anti-virus software - close it down. Find the software installer/setup.exe and right click on it. From the new menu choose Properties. From the pop-up menu go to the Compatibility tab and from there you have a number of choices:

* Run compatibility troubleshooter. This will give the best compatibility mode for the programme. Run it. It might not work, so move on....
* Compatibility mode:
¨ Run this in compatibility mode for. There should be an option already chosen from above. Choose W8/W8.1 if available.
* Settings:
¨ Run this program as an administrator.

Tick the above options then click the Apply button and OK.

Now try to install.
Workingman

Postby medsec222 » 16 Aug 2018, 11:43

Thanks Frank I am away at the moment with poor internet connection so I will have a try when I am back home. I am not sure if it will work though as I log on the the site to obtain my work. Their software download is within their site, so I dont actually have the software package as such. I just click on to install from the site, then it doesn't install. I need to be logged on to the internet to access the site. Its an absolute pain as when I am away I am tring to manage my work between two laptops !
medsec222

Postby Workingman » 16 Aug 2018, 12:30

Ah!

1st, make sure you are logged in to W10 as Admin>>>Settings>>>Type Control Panel in search box>>>User accounts>>>check your details... change to Admin if necessary. Also look to see if there is an offline installer....

If not you could try this:

Try different browsers.... Edge, Opera, Chrome etc. and turn off any site protection extensions.

Finally, but be careful, turn off your AV. Open a browser (site protection off) and open a new tab for the download site - close all other tabs. Try the install.

* TURN YOUR AV BACK ON!

If nothing is working you might have to contact the site for their input.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 22 Aug 2018, 13:06

I did a bit of digging and could not find anything specific to W10.

The software should log the install somewhere (c:\windows\logs?). Having a look in the log should show where the installer failed and what the problem was. I recall having to fix something like that a couple of months ago where there was no available advice. I found the issue in the logs and was able to work around it.

It could be as simple as the firewall blocking the software from reaching the net. If that is the case, you might need to switch off the windows firewall where the AV is relying on the Windows for firewall.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby medsec222 » 23 Aug 2018, 18:46

I am so frustrated with this. I have tried to download it in IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Edge. No luck. I then had the brilliant idea that the foot pedal within express scribe was blocking the dict8 foot pedal so I uninstalled it and tried again.. Alas no joy. I am not sure how to disable the firewall, I feel a bit nervous about it. Everything works well in windows 8.
medsec222

Postby Workingman » 24 Aug 2018, 19:31

Meds, Firewall was my next bet. To turn the Firewall on or off, right click the Start button>>>Settings>>Update & Security>>> Windows Security>>> Firewall
& network protection.

Pick a profile, do them all, and then under Windows Defender Firewall, switch the setting to Off.

Open a browser with your AV off, as described above, and try again.

Whether it works or not undo all the above.

If it works, fine, if not try to contact the site.
Workingman

Postby medsec222 » 24 Aug 2018, 19:42

Frank, in the meantime I went to security, found firewall defended and turned it off. I then tried to download the app again and I got the message that this PC does not support the app. I dont understand this. It is a brand new hewlett packard laptop, windows 10, and the down load is from a reputable business. Have I bought a laptop which is no good :twisted:
medsec222

Postby Workingman » 24 Aug 2018, 20:19

Erm, No.

A possibility is that the software has not been upgraded to W10.....

Can you get a full offline installer on your W8.(1) laptop?

If you can then get it and copy it to a USB stick, from there copy it to the W10 laptop. Right click on the installer you just copied. Go Properties>>>Compatibility tab>>>Compatibility mode and choose W8 from the dropdown, then tick Run this program as administrator. OK your way out.

Try other compatibility modes as well.... one might work.

I have Picture Publisher 10 from years ago and I have to run it as compatible to XP Service pack 3 and Run as Admin. Anything else and it is dead - nothing happens.
Workingman

Postby medsec222 » 24 Aug 2018, 20:30

The software has been upgraded as far as I know. They made some sort of announcement a while back that they were upgrading the software for windows 10. I wasnt bothered about it at the time as I was perfectly happy with my windows 8. I had a laptop at the time with windows 8 on. I was happy with that too but my other half tripped over the wires and damaged the charger port, hence he bought my a new laptop - the bane of my life.

I will study your instructions over the weekend - hopefully all will become clear! :)
medsec222

Next

Return to Computers etc