Windows 10 problem.

For all those techno questions

Windows 10 problem.

Postby AliasAggers » 05 Apr 2019, 11:10

When I used to turn on my computer, and clicked on the windows sign at the bottom left hand corner, I used to be presented with
a list of all the different sections available, so that I could immediately transfer to the part I required.
Now that facility has disappeared, and the only way I can get where I want is to type my requirement into the search box.

Any suggestions of how I can revert to the previous facility?
There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.
AliasAggers

Re: Windows 10 problem.

Postby Workingman » 06 Apr 2019, 19:31

Sorry John, just seen this.

Solution 1.

Right click on an empty space on the taskbar. From the menu click Task Manager and then More Details (bottom left) then click the Processes tab. Scroll all the way down to Windows Explorer. Do a single left click and press the Restart button. That should bring the menu back.

If the problem persists try...

Solution 2.

Launch Task Manager with More Details, as before. From the top menu click File and then Run new task. In the run box type powershell then tick the admin privileges box and OK. When the powershell opens type in sfc /scannow and hit return. This will check system files for errors. Hopefully you will get one of these messages: 'Windows did not find any integrity violations' or 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them'. Close the poweshell and all should be back to normal. However, if you get 'Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them' do this: Copy and paste this into the powershell command line - DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth - hit return and W10 will download and replace any broken files. Once done restart the computer.
Workingman

Postby AliasAggers » 07 Apr 2019, 21:57

Thanks, Frank.

I've tried both your suggestions several time, but without success.

It looks as though I will just have to put up with it.
AliasAggers

Postby Workingman » 07 Apr 2019, 22:01

John, just a quick question.

Does this happen with a Left click or a Right click on the start button?
Workingman

Postby AliasAggers » 08 Apr 2019, 21:38

That's a good question, Frank.

I have always used a left click with my index finger, but I have now tried your suggested right click,
and find that it presents me with list of options, including 'shut down' and 'File Explorer'.

So I'm quite happy with that. Many thanks.
AliasAggers

Return to Computers etc