Bookmarks

For all those techno questions

Bookmarks

Postby Aggers » 21 Mar 2013, 17:43

Several times, when I have come across a web-site I would like to refer to again, I have clicked
the 'Bookmark' sign and the message "Bookmark added" has appeared.

I may be thick, but how do I access my Bookmarks ? I'm on Windows 7.
Aggers

Re: Bookmarks

Postby cruiser2 » 21 Mar 2013, 19:52

I have abar at the top of the screen with various names. It has thne in this order: File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help.
I click on "Book,arks" and there is a drop down list showing the websites I have bookmarked. I then click on the one I want and it will open up.
Not had any problems with this.
I have lost them when I have had a problem with my computer and everything had been unistalled and then re-installed. It was one way of getting rid of some old ones which I did not use.
Hope you can follow this and get into your bookmarks
cruiser2

Postby Suff » 21 Mar 2013, 20:14

if you are using IE9 or above it is the * symbol on the right hand end of the toolbar bar, just under the close/minimise/maximise buttons. If you click on the arrow in the green box you can stick it to the left side of the browser as folders. If you hover over it then it becomes a gold star.

Alternatively Ctrl-Shift-I will do this
Alternatively you can press the left alt key once, select View->Explorer bars and select Favourites.

They should all be there.

BTW clicking Ctrl-D is s shortcut for adding a favourite.

Other versions are slightly different but only really in placement of the favourites button.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Aggers » 22 Mar 2013, 00:58

Thanks chaps,

I've tried your suggestions without success. I don't seem to have the same symbols as you.

I'm alright with 'Favourites', which covers most of my needs, but I am not given the option
of doing this on some websites. Instead I am given the 'Bookmark' option, which is useless
because I can't reveal them.
Aggers

Postby Suff » 22 Mar 2013, 01:13

If you are using FireFox then the bookmarks are in the top right corner, a square with a star on it. Click on the down button for options.

If you are using Chrome, you need to press Ctrl-Shift-B or you need to click on the lines to the right of the address bar (with it's star to bookmark), select bookmarks and then select to show the bookmark bar. From there you can get to the bookmarks by the bar or the other bookmarks icon.

It also has a bookmarks manager Ctrl-Shift-O which pulls up a tab with your bookmarks on it.

To be honest I detest the way Chrome handles bookmarks. One of the many things I detest about it.....
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Aggers » 23 Mar 2013, 12:45

I've decided not to bother about this problem any longer, as it has been taking up more time than it warrents,and other
issues keep cropping up.

One annoying matter is the fact that I have two word-procesing programmes installed - Libre Office and Word Starter,
and this sometimes stops me from making alterations to documents, and other problems. Why do these computers have
to be so damned complicated?
Aggers

Postby Workingman » 23 Mar 2013, 22:22

Aggers, it would be interesting to know which browser you are using.

As for LibreOffice or Word Starter, here are a few leads.

Libre is the most comprehensive and will allow you to edit, amend and modify most documents. If you go to Tools then Options and then expand Load/Save in the General section you are given the option to Always Save As... Make sure it is set for Text Document to Microsoft Word 2007/2010 XML. Do the same for Spreadsheet and Presentation choosing the latest Microsoft version, that way it will be more compatible with most of your documents, even those from Excel and PowerPoint.

Word Starter is a sort of crippled version of Word and a mix of Works and Wordpad. It is limited to what documents, and even versions of them, it can work with.
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 24 Mar 2013, 12:18

The browser on my laptop is Windows Internet Explorer 9.

I can't see the "Expand>Load<save options you mention in my Tools section.

I don't understand why Internet Explorer has anything to do with the savings of documents business,
because when I'm dealing with documents I'm not even on the Internet.
In fact. I don't seem to understand anything much. It's all so confusing.

Do you think it would simplify things if I uninstalled Word Starter and Open Office, which I still have on board?
Aggers

Postby Workingman » 24 Mar 2013, 14:30

Aggers, you need to open LibreOffice Writer for the Tools>>>Options>>> and then expanding +Load/Save>>>General thing to work. It has nothing to do with IE. Uninstalling Word Starter is neither here nor there.

For Favorites there are a couple of things. Open IE9 and do a right click somewhere on an empty space in any available toolbar. A pop-up will appear giving you the option to show/hide different toolbars by placing/removing a tick next to them.

Menu Bar
Favorites Bar
Command Bar
Status Bar

Lock the Toolbars
Show Tabs on separate rows

Make sure that at least the Menu and Favorites bars are shown by placing a tick next to them.

In the Menu Bar where you see File - Edit - View - Favorites - Tools - Help if you click on Favorites a drop down menu will appear showing all your Favorites and their locations.

There are no such things as 'Bookmarks' in IE9 that is the description given to Favorites in other browsers.

To add a page as a Favorite you need to right click in an open space on the page and choose Add to favorites... A new pop-up asks you whereabouts in Favorites you would like to save the Favorite.

The location of the Favorites folder in Win7 is: C:\Users\your user name\Favorites\
Workingman

Postby cruiser2 » 24 Mar 2013, 16:21

Aggers,
I have W7 installed
After I had opened this page, I left clicked on an open space. This brought up a small menu with the following list: Back, Forward, Reload, Bookmark this page, Save page as,
View Background Image, Select All, View Page source, View Page info, Inspect Element.
Hope this helps.
cruiser2

Next

Return to Computers etc