For all those techno questions

Postby cruiser2 » 18 Jul 2019, 16:20

I want to install Skype on my computer so that I can speaks to friends in USA and other parts of the world without having to pay.
I have W10 and am using a desktop computer with just a screen which is several years old.

I have managed to download the programme correctly.
Can I connect a camera and microphone to my computer so that we can talk and see each other while we are on the phone.
If I have to buy them which are suitable?
Many thanks for any help provided
cruiser2

Re: Skype

Postby Workingman » 18 Jul 2019, 18:34

Cruiser, the good news is that you can put your credit card away.... very good systems can be had for about £40.

More good news is that with USB you do not need a separate camera and microphone - you do not need the phone!

For the needs you mention you probably need something like colour 720p (HD) at a min of 30 fps with noise cancelling microphone.

A few examples:

Life Cam

Logitech C170

Logitech C920

Huatech

Or you could go on eBay and get a cheap one for abut £7 just as a try-out.

A lot of the software that comes with the sets includes zoom, but it is reallly not essential.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 19 Jul 2019, 13:33

Cruiser, my Laptops have camera's and microphones on them already. I use these for Skype. Of course, as WM says, you can get fairly cheap camera's on ebay.

For sound, I use a USB headset on my laptops/desktop computer and a Bluetooth headset on my phone when talking for some time.

Microphones for computers are equally cheap, but you can get camera's with microphones built in (mine does).

Of course if you have a smartphone with a front camera on it, you can use skype on the phone and cut out the computer altogether. Just make sure you are on wifi before you call.

There is a huge range of choice in this. A little research for your preference is worthwhile. I use Skype on 3 different Laptops, my desktop and my two phones. So you are not limited unless your phone can't load the app.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby cruiser2 » 19 Jul 2019, 15:59

WM & Suff.
Thank you for your replies.
Have been to a local phone shop who have downoaded Skype and Whtapp onto my phone. Have sent a message using Whatsapp to a friend as a test and had a reply.

Am going to buy a webcam as my wife will want to see the potos on the PC monitor rather than the phone.
So I am making slow progress.
I can remember in the early 1960's having to put four old pennies in a phone box and press button A to make a phone call. It was at night in November in Portmadoc in North Wales
cruiser2

Postby Suff » 19 Jul 2019, 20:55

Cruiser, I can remember going round all the old black phone boxes in the village and pressing button B to see if there was anything there which had not been returned. This was at the end of the 60's.

I also remember tap dialling on a phone box phone and making calls for free.

Good luck with your research.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 19 Jul 2019, 21:51

Suff wrote:I also remember tap dialling on a phone box phone and making calls for free.

Me too, we all did it... ;) :lol: :lol:

Cruiser, just jump in. Even a £10 deal will do the job till you get the hang of things.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 31 Jul 2019, 15:22

Workingman wrote:
Suff wrote:

Me too, we all did it... ;) :lol: :lol:

Yep but the number I phoned most was 720776.... Sore finger time.
Suff

Return to Computers etc