Kindles

For all those techno questions

Kindles

Postby JanB » 20 Oct 2019, 19:23

Can some-one please talk me through a kindle. Gently and in easy to understand - cos I is a bit fick when it comes to this sort of stuff.

I've read all my books, most of the library and I'm going to have to give in and get one.

I would like one I can read when it's bright and I also understand (maybe wrongly) that I have to choose a genre.

Can I by one here and have it in English? Or should I buy in England?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Muito obrigado.
JanB

Re: Kindles

Postby Workingman » 21 Oct 2019, 21:45

Jan , I don't have one as I use my tablet, but my mate has one. If you can use an iPhone or Android you should be OK and you can set it up for quite a few languages so buying in Portugal should not be a problem, but you could check hands-on in a shop.

However, my BIG tip would be to take this to VV Cafe and ask some of them on there as there is more traffic and Ally, Kaz, JoM etc should be of more help.

ETA: I'v done it for you. :D :D :D
Workingman

Postby JanB » 22 Oct 2019, 07:11

Thanks WM. I don't have either of those, so I'm going to struggle. And asking in Wortens is a big fat no. They're rubbish in there.
JanB

Postby Suff » 01 Dec 2019, 19:13

Hi Jan,

There are several different Kindles, all have E-ink displays which make them easy to read in sunlight, which is the opposite of a mobile.

Before I delve into that, you can download the kindle app for PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android.

If you use the app, you do not need to buy a Kindle device. You can buy books online and have them added to your kindle library from your phone or iPad (tablet).

I currently have around 30 books on my kindle app which I read on my phone.

If you do want the actual reader, there are two real genre's, one with a glow light that lights the display in the dark, the other requires you to read in sufficient light.

Of either type the paperwhite is the best for reading clarity.

The next part. Is important. Where you are located on your Kindle account is extremely important. I wound up with French Media settings and had to contact support then log into the US site to fix it.

The easiest way to avoid this is to have an account with a UK address, buy the device and have it shipped to the UK address.

Whilst every Kindle offers you a range of languages on first startup, it is the media settings in the Amazon account which are the biggest problem you will have.

I found the Kindle simply too fragile. My first fell 2 feet to a stone floor then died a week later, my second was inside a tough leather case in my motorcycle panniers. The vibration cracked the screen.

My parents, on the other hand, have had theirs for years without an issue.

Good luck.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc