Help please, black screen on tablet!!

For all those techno questions

Help please, black screen on tablet!!

Postby Gal2 » 07 Feb 2020, 17:05

Frank or anyone.....I had this a couple of weeks ago but managed to restart by rebooting, (held down the power button for 30 seconds and then as normal) but it's not working this time.

I've googled but the only thing I haven't done is to remove the back to take the battery connections off - and frankly I'm not too happy to do that. Can I fix it myself, or is it going to be a PC doctor? (and you know me, words of one syllable please ;) )
Gal2
Site Admin

Re: Help please, black screen on tablet!!

Postby Workingman » 07 Feb 2020, 18:11

OK Gal, if you plug in the charger does the battery charging icon come up? If it does the screen is probably OK. If not it might be a driver problem.

Either way you might need to try a factory reset to get it working again. If you go to google and type in your make and model followed by "hard reset" you should get links on how to do it. The procedure differs from make to make so it's hard to say on here.

Basically if the thing is not dead you should get a boot menu with an option of Factory Reset. It becomes a button pushing exercise so just follow the instructions. Do it with the charger plugged in.

And if you have an SD card with photos and docs on then remove it first because you are going to do a total wipe of the system.
Workingman

Postby Gal2 » 07 Feb 2020, 18:29

Nothing comes up! I can hear a little three note tinkle occasionally which makes me think it is on, but nothing at all on the screen.

I've done the google thing but nothing I do is helping. Is it dead?
Gal2
Site Admin

Postby Workingman » 07 Feb 2020, 18:35

Did you manage a hard reset and get a menu? What make and model is it Gal? As much info as possible please.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 07 Feb 2020, 20:38

Mine gave up the ghost recently, because the charge connection got so loose the charger couldn't work. If it's knackered it might well be cheaper to buy a new one than get it mended, mine was £49.99 from Amazon. Hope Frank can help though xxx
Kaz

Postby Gal2 » 08 Feb 2020, 12:56

Workingman wrote:Did you manage a hard reset and get a menu? What make and model is it Gal? As much info as possible please.

An amazon Fire 7 I think, just nothing happens, Frank, no screen, not even sounds now. I think it's dead :(
Gal2
Site Admin

Postby Workingman » 08 Feb 2020, 14:59

Gal, please try this, hold the power button for 20 seconds or more to make sure it is turned off. Then give it a good few hours on charge. Try two different chargers, one after the other, just in case one is not working.

Once done press and hold both the Volume Down and Power buttons.

After a few seconds your Kindle should boot into the Amazon recovery screen - you'll see the Amazon logo, let go of the buttons and wait for the recovery menu to appear.

Use the Volume buttons + and - to navigate to the wipe data/factory reset option.

Press the Power button to proceed.

Again, use the Volume buttons to select the Yes — delete all user data option.

Press the Power button to confirm and let the system do its work.

You should then be able to turn it on and off as normal.

If none of that works then Kaz probably has the right idea. There could be all sorts of problems, from a totally dead battery to duff chargers to a broken charging port to a dead screen.... some places will charge you the £50 for a new one just to take it out of your hand.
Workingman

Postby Gal2 » 09 Feb 2020, 19:06

Thanks for all that Frank - sadly none of it helped :(

Looks like I'm on the lookout for a good deal on Amazon. Shame as it was a gift from Jen a few years ago :(
Gal2
Site Admin

Postby Kaz » 10 Feb 2020, 10:14

:( xxx
Kaz

Postby Suff » 14 Feb 2020, 16:58

I had this problem with a Chinese tablet. I had to remove the back and disconnect the battery. Worked fine after that but there was no key combination which would get it out of the mess it was in, it had to be totally powered down and the only way to do that was via the battery connection.

It shouldn't be too difficult once you have popped the case. The only problem I found with Amazon Kindles is the screen seems to be made out of spun sugar.... :(
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Next

Return to Computers etc