Avast free AV

For all those techno questions

Avast free AV

Postby Gal2 » 23 Jul 2020, 20:26

I've had this on my pc for ever, recently I thought I'd trial the upgraded paid for version, MISTAKE!!!

Yes I got 60 days free but now having decided not to continue with the paid version, how do I get back to the free version? Do I have to uninstall it and install it afresh? :roll:

TIA x
Gal2
Site Admin

Re: Avast free AV

Postby Workingman » 24 Jul 2020, 10:15

Follow the instructions in the link Gal. Just scroll down to Switch back to Avast Free Antivirus and it's all there.

https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article ... ity-trial/

If it creates problems then you could always do a manual uninstall using W10's own remover or something like CCleaner then download the newest free version of Avast! and go again. Good luck.
Workingman

Postby Gal2 » 25 Jul 2020, 17:37

Thank you Frank looks like it's done it without too much fuss!!

Just couldn't find the help I wanted when searching on Avast! :roll: :lol:
Gal2
Site Admin

Postby Workingman » 25 Jul 2020, 20:16

God news, Gal, it's why the board's here.

Not surprised about Avast! help, once they have sucked you in they make it difficult to get out - they all do it.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 26 Jul 2020, 11:06

Nice to hear it is sorted.

I have paid for my AV since around 2005 when I realised that it was simply not possible to have a full browsing experience and protect myself fully without one.

I started with the Norton suite and was happy for many years until I found companies were reporting legitimate competing software through the community program. After about 2 years of having to switch off my protection to install an app every 3 months or so I took my sons advice and switched to Kaspersky.

Since then I've had no issues and I buy 2-3 year keys for 5 machines from ebay. I never pay more than £25 for 3 years of protection for up to 5 devices.

Norton was heading into £75 for one year.

Just in case anyone is thinking to buy protection.

My Brothers experience with Avast was enough for me. His partners Aunt had a machine which was full of viruses and malware. He cleaned it all up, reinstalled avast and zone alarm, tested it and took it back.

All of his testing was on his home network with a router firewall. When he plugged it in again it was via a USB Broadband modem with no firewall. Within 10 minutes it was full of malware. Right through zone alarm and Avast.

They are certainly better now, but I see no reason to trust cut price security.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 26 Jul 2020, 12:04

I do not know how so many people get hit by so much malware.

I have been using the free version of 360 Total Security for years. I use Opera as my browser - never Edge / IE, Chrome or Firefox. I have changed my home network behind the router / modem from 192.168.x.x to a 10.x.x.x network which allows for 16.7 million possible addresses over 65.5 thousand making things a tad harder for intruders. I use Opera's privacy protection and AdGuard ad blocking (both free) which both have community led and industrial anti-phishing and malware site protection, and I turn off my router every so often to get a new gateway address. 360 also has a sandbox that allows me to visit sites that could be less than safe. I have a full AV scan scheduled for a Sunday night once a month.

I never get hit with anything.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 01 Aug 2020, 18:37

I never get hit with anything either, even though I do hit some torrent sites that attack your browser as soon as you hit it. My preferred browser is IE, I've used it since V3 and all the others just turn me off. If forced, I use Firefox.

My router is supplied by Orange (no choice on this in France, all suppliers control the router), however it is firewalled behind my own router and so is further away.

My network is a bit esoteric as I have over 500 sq M of floor area and several walls from 2 to 3 feet thick stone. I have two physical networks, four wireless networks (until I get a decent mesh) and one network is on a UK VPN.

Most viruses I've had to decontaminated were let in by McAffee paid for. I avoid them.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc