Adobe Flash / flash player.

For all those techno questions

Adobe Flash / flash player.

Postby Workingman » 01 Jan 2021, 16:50

It's dead, it's gone! It was a browser plugin and a security nightmare.

Adobe has now killed it and the browsers of today will no longer play flash animations, games or movies. It will not bother many of you and you will probably not notice.

I just wanted to warn you that if you visit a site still using Flash you will probably get a jigsaw piece icon with the message Click to enable Adobe Flash Player. This will no longer work. It is not a browser problem or a computer problem - it is just the way things now are.

If you really, really, really still want to play old Flash stuff read this.

I have a few bits and pieces that I saved over the years so I downloaded the SWF flashplayer and it works OK.
Workingman

Re: Adobe Flash / flash player.

Postby Suff » 05 Jan 2021, 14:07

I don't think I ever had any swf files which I needed to save.

I'm sure that Xmedia recode could reformat the video files it if you needed to access it without a flash player. Games are another matter though.

HTML5 has been taking this over for quite some time now. It is about time Flash died. It is one of the most buggy pieces of software I've had the misfortune to have been forced to install.

Interesting that they didn't mention that the, currently out of support, IE, will play flash and probably won't try to remove it. Worth a thought if you wanted a browser without having to go finding an out of support one. I just tested this with http://waterlife.nfb.ca/ and it works fine.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc