I am going to root my phone.

For all those techno questions

I am going to root my phone.

Postby Workingman » 31 Jan 2021, 15:32

It is long out of any warranty and it started playing up, going on a go-slow, screen taps not working, you get the idea. When I had a good look I noticed that the internal storage was about 97% full so if I had more than a couple of apps open it would freeze.

Rooting will allow me to get rid of some pre-installed and useless apps and also move those I want to keep and any new ones I install on the 32Gig SD card. I did a hard reset to factory defaults this morning so I am off for the files needed to root then I'll get started.... well maybe tomorrow as I have had enough of it today.

I'll be back.....
Workingman

Re: I am going to root my phone.

Postby Workingman » 03 Feb 2021, 10:21

Oh dear, I might have bricked it. I got into the fast boot loader but all it does is keep cycling through that system and won't let me in to the phone proper. I'll keep reading and trying the tips and tricks on how to recover so fingers crossed. At least it is keeping me occupied during the lockdown. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby Suff » 07 Feb 2021, 21:28

Hi WM, have a look for phoenix flasher and there should be a button press cycle, I think power +down arrow 3 times to boot it into flash mode.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 08 Feb 2021, 14:30

Hi Suff, with the Moto it is power + vol up for 3 secs, and that let me flash to bootloader via the laptop.

The problem now it that it always boots to the super user boot loader but before I can do anything it cycles off then loads again, then off, then loads - forever until I take the battery out. I suspect that there are a few molecules of water vapour hanging about in there from when it got wet in my pocket - part of the reason for the root, so the bits are in a box on the radiator. They can stay there till spring and I'll try again.... I ended up getting another phone. :D
Workingman

Postby Suff » 08 Feb 2021, 17:56

Even with all the time you have it is still not worth the effort is it.

I buy Mrs S older Samsung phones. I got her a Galaxy S8 for £275. Personally I shudder paying more than £200 but will pay £220 for my favourite Mi Max 3, the last one was £190.

I have an old Oukitel which I was keeping as a camera phone, until I found the case burst open and the relatively new battery swollen. The charge infra had died and overcharged the battery. Pretty dangerous that. I have an elephone P9000 lite which has a new battery waiting for it but I had to wait till I could buy a new aerial cable, the old one broke on disassembly. Took a couple of years for the stuff to end up on Aliexpress. £5 the lot. I also have a Maze Alpha 4g which, if I ever find the time, I'll get the USB charge port and replace it. My charge station got a drink of coke and I didn't know. It was a frying time when I plugged it in to charge.

All in all, there is a lot of "not worth the effort" going around.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc