HELP !

For all those techno questions

HELP !

Postby Aggers » 08 Apr 2013, 21:24

I'm in trouble again.

For some unknown reason when I access any of my documents I get a 'background' page appear that is
covered with an array of coloured squares. I have tried to correct this but without success.
If I click 'print', my original document is printed OK, but of course I am unable to read the document
from the screen, or make any additions or alterations. I've tried System Restore but the problem remains.

I use Libre Office mostly now, but even the documents I originally made using Microsoft Word Starter
are similarly affected. No way can I find out how to disable this 'background' feature.
Aggers

Re: HELP !

Postby Suff » 08 Apr 2013, 22:14

Aggers, I couldn't find any instance of this problem anywhere.

What I did find was one possibility that the default fonts had been changed to something which displays as blocks and colours. However that could only be display, it would not print correctly if the real font was that way.

you could try this advice I found.

I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

1. Click on Start, go to Control panel.

2. Click on fonts, go to font settings.

3. Click on Restore Default settings, and ok.

4. Also put a check mark for “Hide fonts based on language settings”.

It's worth a try.... Also if you can default the fonts for the apps that might be worth it, but I'd try the system fonts first.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 08 Apr 2013, 23:15

Aggers,

Open LibreOffice Writer with a new blank document. Right click on an area next to the page. From the new menu select Page... In the new pop-up select the Background Tab. Select As as Colour from the drop down. From the palette of colours double click No Fill in the bar at the top, the Preview on the right should turn white. Click Apply and then OK and the background should go back to normal.
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 09 Apr 2013, 09:26

Thanks, my friends.

I changed the font settings as you suggested, Suff, but that didn't work.

What you suggested, Frank, has worked for some documents, but not all.

Also, when I go to save a test document I get the message 'document not implemented'.

I'll keep working at it.
Aggers

Postby Workingman » 09 Apr 2013, 10:19

Aggers, the only thing I can find about "document not implemented" has to do with templates and document backgrounds are part of a template.

I am thinking that the 'normal' template has somehow become corrupted. If you try to reinstall LibreOffice it will find that it is already installed and should offer to repair the current installation. There is also and upgrade available. You might get balloon tip up on the right hand side of the toolbar - the icon is a down arrow dropping into an oblong slit - or you could find out by going to Help>>>Check for Updates....
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 09 Apr 2013, 14:15

I've downloaded Libre Office again, and it automaticly deleted the original version. However, I still have some of my original problems. Fortunately the files that are not showing correctly are not important ones, so I might delete them Attempting to
display some documents brings up the message "Read only document. Locked for editing by unknown user. Insufficient user rights). How clever !

Thanks for your help, Frank.

P.S. When I got on to a certain document via Libre, I found that I couldn't get out of it - nothing I clicked worked, and the only
way I could escape was to click on the minimise botton. Now when I start up Libre again it goes staight to this frozen page. So I can't use Libre at all now. Perhaps it's as well !!!
Aggers

Postby Suff » 09 Apr 2013, 17:53

If Libre Office is playing with Word normal.dot files it would have barge pole marks all over it from me......

As far as I can tell only OpenOffice is the one which is truly compatible, doesn't mess with your machine and does what it says on the tin. IBM have a fork called Symphony which is a real laugh for us older IT guys. It works, IBM support it and it does the job.

It also supports Office 2010 files for read. Although it makes a right mess of spreadsheets with vba in them.

Click to download and on the next screen click on proceed without an IBM id.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 09 Apr 2013, 21:54

Aggers, Read Only documents were at some time password protected, unless you have the password to unprotect them you are stuck. That would happen with any document suite -MS Office, Symphony, OpenOffice, SoftOffice, Kingstone...

The file you are stuck with. Open it and choose Save As>>> then pick .rtf. Save the document.

When you return to LibreOffice it should open a blank normal template for a new document.
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 09 Apr 2013, 23:07

Thanks, guys.

The problem I have is that some of these word processing systems are far too complicated for the type of work that I use them for, particularly Libre Office. I think I will just use Microsoft Word, which I really prefer. You may remember that I downloaded Libre Office because it enabled me to access files from my previous computer's hard drive, so I will keep it on board for that purpose.

I'm beginning to think that I'm getting too old to cope with the ever-growing complexities of these modern gadgets. I still long for Windows XP.
Aggers

Postby Suff » 10 Apr 2013, 17:25

Hi Aggers,

Any word processing system will allow you to access documents from the previous computers hard drive. It is simply a matter of opening the correct location and being able to support the correct formats.

This is all made more complicated by the fact that the software is trying to replace some very simple actions you can do yourself.

It all seems very complicated but only because the software is trying to be "smart". I avoid "smart" software and use my noggin instead. The plethora of "dimware" is legion and it leaves you in a state you may not be able to get out of.

It is one of the reasons I do NOT use hard drive encryption. I Encrypt the files which are sensitive using very simple vanilla software. Yes it could be smarter, seamless, powerful. It could also be a dodo very rapidly too.
Suff

Next

Return to Computers etc