Transferring Photos

For all those techno questions

Transferring Photos

Postby cruiser2 » 27 Apr 2021, 09:30

I have some photos which i have saved on my computer.

I think I took them with my digital camera
I now want to transfer some of them onto my phone.

Can I use the cable which I use to charge the phone to make the transfer?
Will copies of the photos still remain on the computer?
I want to show some of them to a friend and it is akward carrying the computer.
cruiser2

Re: Transferring Photos

Postby Suff » 27 Apr 2021, 15:13

Hi Cruiser,

Can't remember what phone you have.

If Android, you plug the phone into the pc USB port, unlock it, set the USB connection to Use USB for File Transfer. The phone will then appear in Windows File Explorer with the phone name. You find it under "This PC" in Windows 10.

If you copy files from your Pictures folder using file explorer, to the phone, then they will be on both devices. If you move/cut and paste them, then they will only be on the phone.

iPhone is different. You have to use iTunes. iTunes has the ability to upload pictures to your phone. They stay on the PC too unless you chose to delete them.

Hope this is fairly clear. I do this all the time so what seems simple to me might not be so clear.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 27 Apr 2021, 16:12

Cruiser, be aware that photos can take up a lot of room, lots of it!

Android. In Windows Explorer create a new folder and name it something like Photos to Phone then copy the photos you want to transfer to your phone into it. Once you have them all in there do a right click on the folder and select Properties, this will give you the total size of the folder and all the photos in it - this could be GB sized so look out!

In Windows Explorer check out the details of your phone's Internal Storage. It will tell you how much memory is free from the total. If your Photos to Phone folder is bigger or even close to the free space in Internal Storage you will need to set up an SD card as External Storage and use that to transfer your photos. You can transfer them all in one go by right clicking on the Photos to Phone folder and selecting Copy and then right clicking in some free space in your chosen storage location and selecting Paste.

iPhone: Move the folder as per Android but to iTunes then bring it back to the phone.

Once you have the Photos to Phone folder on your phone you can later move other photos in and out of it at will or even create sub folders within it.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 27 Apr 2021, 17:06

Hmmm, yes, lots of space. I bought my first Mi Max 3 with 64gb of internal storage. But I have a 64GB SD installed in it. Later I bought two more of them. They have 128GB internal storage and one has a 128gb SD card in it.

It all depends on your phone. I stopped getting 32GB phones a while back as I kept running out of space.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 28 Apr 2021, 11:20

Coming back to this image size problem.

If the phone is only going to be used as a photo viewer, and if there is not much free space and an SD card is not available, then a resize would work.

Digital cameras, depending upon how they are set up, can take single images of many MB depending on frame size and quality (for printing). Common formats are 16:9, 4:3 and 2:1. 2:1 is generally used on phones.

I have just used Faststone Image Viewer from here, it's free. This reduced a folder of images from 69.4MB down to 1.58MB so that is some saving!

I can advise on what to do if that is an option.
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 29 Apr 2021, 19:23

Cruiser, were we any help? It would be nice to know, either way. Thanks.
Workingman

Return to Computers etc