Me Again

For all those techno questions

Me Again

Postby medsec222 » 08 May 2021, 12:29

I am away at the moment and trying to do some work in Word. Microsoft is asking me to sign in, it has never done that before. I have tried to default Word documents to the laptop by going into options, save, save to the computer by default, then OK but it is not working. Any ideas how to get rid of Microsoft asking me to sign in. I don't even know if I have a password or not. Thanks in advance.
medsec222

Re: Me Again

Postby Workingman » 08 May 2021, 13:52

Meds, I think it might be because you are using Word from a location Microsoft does not recognise as "You" so it wants confirmation to let "you" use "your" version of Word - annoying, eh?

I am not a user so not sure but it looks like a common problem and none of the "fixes" I have found seem to work. You either bite the bullet and sign in or use something else. If you try to sign in but have forgotten your password there should be a password reset option to send a link to your email address.

As an alternative. It's what I use and it works with .doc and .docx file formats - also Excel and PowerPoint. A couple of things to change. When you open TextMaker, the Word alternative, go into Tools>>>Appearance>>> untick Use Automatic Hyphenation. Now go to Files>>>Default file format>>> from the drop down choose MS Word 2007-2016(.docx) and make a note of the Template and Backup folders, click OK and you are done.

You can also send files to any folder you like by using File>>>Save As to keep your work local - make sure to opt for Word Document as it defaults to rtf.
Workingman

Postby medsec222 » 08 May 2021, 14:28

Hi Frank - I am in Wales. It was driving me mad because I have a lot of work on which I would rather not do just now but it has to be done. Nearly an hour fiddling about. However - I signed in using my old e-mail address which did the trick and when I was asked for a PIN I took a chance with a pin I often use. I got in and am in the middle of my work. I will continue while the going is good and return to your post when I have finished my tasks. Thanks Franks, always.
medsec222

Postby Workingman » 08 May 2021, 14:48

Get organised, girl! :lol:

I knew there would be a back door somehow, but it is always good to have another option.

I have a locked and hidden folder with all my serials, passwords, PINs etc. in it - each in their own file. The folder is also in a random place and has a random name. It is a folder within the C:\Windows root folder so very hard to stumble upon.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 10 May 2021, 19:11

I missed this, sorry. I was digging in the garden and laying founds for a small retaining wall.

I have both Office365 versions of Office and bought office with a product key. In all cases it asks me to log in but for the one with a product key I tell it not to log in and let me put in the key.

If you have a subscription it will not let you use it until you log into that subscription. I'd suggest writing down the email address and password, in separate places and then the pin. I use several different places. Draft emails, Onedrive and other online storage areas I can get to. I also use my phone and local files on my phone.

The problem with Office subscriptions is that you have to login so rarely that when it asks you it becomes a problem.

I fell over this when I replaced my big tower computer with a MinisForum X400 and Microsoft went mad saying "it's a new pc give me a key". Got it all sorted in the end, but it was a faff.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc