a glimpse of the future

For all those techno questions

a glimpse of the future

Postby Suff » 18 Jun 2021, 15:17

It seems that Windows 10 "Version Next" has leaked. As you can see it has a new number (maybe).

One very interesting fact, which is not mentioned in the articles I've read, Windows is using advanced graphics again to make things easier to work with. One of the really annoying Windows 10 things is the sudden end of a window which can lead to missing the borders of windows and clicking on the wrong thing, especially when the scrollbar is hidden.

I noticed that MS is using very subtle anti aliasing around the windows to delineate them without hard borders.

Apart from that, the rounded edges remind me of a Mac more than anything else...

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Re: a glimpse of the future

Postby Workingman » 19 Jun 2021, 12:38

I have a DVB-T viewer that uses a similar trick when I run it in a window. When the cursor is near the edge it goes a bit fuzzy. It also has R-click = grab and move, L-click + Scroll = resize, they can both be done from anywhere in the window and are configurable in Options.

What I really, really want, though, is for someone to code the updates so that they do not change my personal settings back to MS defaults. I have some older progs to work with the likes of TIFF, AVI, DivX, RTF, JPG files but no, MS wants me to use its own or partner softwares to work with them. The latest was during the week and it did my head in... again.

SOD OFF, it's my computer!
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 19 Jun 2021, 12:57

I have now read few articles and watched some videos of the release in action and I am seriously considering going Linux.

A lot of stuff seems to be toys for the always connected phone junkies to play with when they venture on to a real computer. The last W10 update added three items to my start-up folder and I had to use CCleaner to get rid of them. W11 looks a lot worse.

Oh for a 64 bit version of Win 95 that I could get in and rip out the crap.... Those were the days. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby Suff » 20 Jun 2021, 12:05

I agree WM, Windows has been driving towards single screen portable devices for a decade now.

That being said, I have used and worked with, Linux for 2.5 decades now and still have the same feeling as I did at the beginning.

It is supported by geeks who think that if you cannot compile your own distro and drivers, then you have no place on Linux.

That makes it running with scissors and I have bought the T shirt with that far too many times to be bothered with it in my daily life.

For your woes with apps and "stuff" they put in I reccommend powershell. You can rip out every (un) modern UI app with it including the store if you want (I have done so), although I reccommend caution with ripping the store.

You can also get at the settings that MS keeps changing with PS and you can run it as a script on startup.

It could relieve gou of a lot of the pain.

I've had a lot of experience with taking control of work desktops whose admins think they know how to work.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 24 Jun 2021, 18:12

The new software will let Android apps run on the Windows desktop.

I knew it! They are trying to turn my computer into a phablet but without the ph.... to keep the kiddies happy. And it is going to be HUGE! 64GB minimum free storage space. Then there's the Microsoft account needed for the updates so 'always on'.

I might as well get a Chromebook or go Linux for things Internet and then disconnect my W10 machine from said Internet and return it to being an XP3 machine so that all my old progs can run natively.

Here's all you need to know - or not.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... ifications
Workingman

Postby Suff » 29 Jun 2021, 14:00

Yes I read all that stuff. The big one is this.

System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable
TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0

Older devices are screwed. Even 7th gen Intel and AMD Ryzen Zen1 processors are currently off the list. I have a device which will take these requirements but they are not pervasive. W11 will be mainly for new machines.

W11 will run both Android and Linux apps as MS works to make it cross platform. This has been something they've been working on for years now, not just for tablets but to make MS cross compatible in a range of areas.

As for the MS account stuff.... :lol: :lol: :lol: It also does that with W10 home now. They removed the option for installing without a MS account. I registered W10 home with my new little machine I just bought and I had to use my Hotmail account. As soon as it was set up, I fired up Powershell, Admin, issued a create new account, local, command, then made the local account admin. I then removed the account which they insisted I register it with. Works perfectly for updates etc... So you don't have to get Pro and you don't have to be hooked into the MS ecosystem. They only make it hard, not impossible, which catches the majority of the tech unaware.

Apparently they've done something to sort out the multiple monitor response when you disconnect and reconnect. So it's certainly not just Tablet based.
Suff

Return to Computers etc