F.a.I WM/ Suff

For all those techno questions

Re: F.a.I WM/ Suff

Postby Suff » 07 Jul 2021, 14:20

I use satellite for UK TV plus an Amazon Fire TV stick with a VPN to get the streaming services and apps.

Because I have a TV, Fire TV, BD player and Satellite box that want to see UK internet, I have a 5 port Giga switch under the TV and a virtualised PC which provides the VPN to that switch on a separate network.

This has worked for me for years now. Yes it costs me every month for my VPN, but it's viable.

The thing about UK TV is that it is invariable 99% drivel with the odd rough diamond to be found after endless digging. Amazon Prime movies are 60% without subtitles which is endlessly irritating for Mrs S and Netflix simply doesn't update the movie list fast enough.

I find that the DVD rip collection on the server comes into play using Kodi on the FireTV. But, still, with a range of TV series and close to 600 ripped movies (ripped from our own discs), we still find we're looking at films we've seen before a few times.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 07 Jul 2021, 15:38

Suff, as we both allude to, the days of a box in the corner of the living room with three channels are long gone.

Along with Freeview I have a ROKU box no bigger than a coffee pod and it can get me Prime, Now!, Netflix, Disney etc. and most on PAYG. Then there are the Internet TV aggregators where you can watch loads of TV from anywhere.

How times have changed. :D :D :D
Workingman

Postby Suff » 07 Jul 2021, 20:06

New world. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 08 Jul 2021, 08:27

Ain't it just. Nigerian and Botswanan TV are a must watch!

Not much in the way of inclusivity and diversity thereabouts but I did learn that Mwamba walked seven miles to get drinking water only to find that the well was dry. I just turn on the tap! :o
Workingman

Previous

Return to Computers etc