Windows 11

For all those techno questions

Re: Windows 11

Postby Suff » 06 Jan 2022, 20:32

Workingman wrote:But it does amaze me how so many "intelligent" people buy in to proscribed system and cannot think of other ways for themselves.

It doesn't amaze me at all. The number of people who can talk your legs off about the Dewey decimal library system but can't even expend ten minutes to find out that a PC gives you the largest library in the world with a full text search engine to find your required information from what is written Inside the books is simply not funny at all.

They think of computers as something which should be seen but only used under sufferance....

If people demanded more they would get it. They won't even expend the brainpower to understand what they could do and then what they might need in order to do it.

Horses, water, drink.

So we get what people are willing to put up with.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 06 Jan 2022, 20:53

Suff, computers are for online shopping, games, streaming films and music, "chatting", sharing our lives with others, even strangers. Even we do it to some extent. Nothing much wrong with that but there is so much more out there.

If only they were used more for broadening our horizons....

My education has come on leaps and bounds because of the Internet. Way more than at school and university and the Encyclopaedia Books I read avidly in our front room when I was a kid.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 06 Jan 2022, 21:54

Workingman wrote:My education has come on leaps and bounds because of the Internet. Way more than at school and university and the Encyclopaedia Books I read avidly in our front room when I was a kid.

Me too. Even my level of English changed and post college too.

Other things I have found is that where History was the most boring subject on the planet for me at School, I find that I do in depth research on subjects based on stimulus. Such as going to Chinon Castle and finding out that our Richard and John were born there, Richard didn't even speak English, only French and that Henry II and Richard III died there and that the "plantagenet treasure" was never found when Henry died. A treasure which combined England and the Anjou Plantagenet empire had filled. Richard never found it, it was gone. However it had been there because he sacked the treasury himself to finance actions against his father in Aquitaine.

Very interestingly different from the "England the centre of the universe" story we hear about King Richard and King John.

I still don't care much for the dates. But the actual political history of the time is fascinating. As is what has been chosen as the generally accepted "History" of England.

That is only one tiny subset of what I look at daily on the internet. Those of us who care to do so find a well of information too deep for any one life to plumb.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 18 Jan 2022, 14:21

Just seen your last, and oh yes!

Two subjects, history and geography, bored me to death at school.

They were our histories and our geographies yet there were many others going on, at the same time, and boy, has looking at them broadened my understanding.

Maths and science - physics, chemistry, biology - as well as engineering, were always my thing, but again it was always British based.

Unfortunately the web has become a slebfest. Let's talk about films, baby, let's talk about fame. Sad.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 19 Jan 2022, 18:33

Well I guess the majority pay for it and the majority are clueless as to what it really is.

Library of Congress step aside, nothing compared to what is on the net.

My main issue is the number of incredibly interesting opinion pieces and their research data, that have vanished off the Web and probably gone forever faster than we can remove physical documents.

It leaves the way open to change history.

The more people stray away from the PC and move to portable devices with Apps and not browser access, the more they will be funneled down 9ne specific path.
Suff

Previous

Return to Computers etc