Confused .com

For all those techno questions

Re: Confused .com

Postby Workingman » 23 Dec 2021, 16:19

I guess Suff is right about Ts & Cs. I pay monthly and get XGB of data. If I do not use it I lose it, it does not roll-over. On the 1st of each month it all starts again.

For a miniscule data user like me it is no big deal. If I was a phone drone glued to the screen and on apps 24/7 I might think differently. For me it is cheaper to get the unlimited calls and texts with a bit of data bundle for a few quid and lose the data than pay a monthly fortune for all the bells and whistles, or 4p a text and so much per min for a call on PAYG.

We all need to play the game our way. They still win. ;)
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 23 Dec 2021, 17:08

My 2GB data with unlimited calls and texts (Smarty) is cheaper to lose the data and only use the mobile for calls and texts than using the landline for some calls. I can still use the data if I absolutely must. My landline is redundant except for incoming scam calls.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 23 Dec 2021, 22:11

JanB wrote:As some one who makes probably three phone calls and about the same for texts, not a clue Suff. Felix Natal xx

Nothing to do with phone calls Jan. It is about supply and consumption.

Consider a store loyalty card. You spend €1,000 this month and get a voucher for 10% off.

Now if you are comparing loyalty cards and one adds 10% in money to your card with no expiry and another gives you vouchers you have to spend in the next month, or you lose it, which loyalty scheme are you going to favour?

Same thing, different context.

As WM says, watch your T&C's.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 24 Dec 2021, 00:20

Nail on head, Suff. Figure out what is best for you (not what the providers tell you) and go for it.

BYW. PAYG deals are now crap. You pay for texts and calls at an increased rate and that could require frequent top-ups. If you are a low data user then go for a fixed price unlimited texts and calls data deal. They are out there for £5 per month, or less, and they also allow you to TwitFace if you absolutely must.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 24 Dec 2021, 11:34

There was a decision to try and force all phone usage to contract and it made PAYG far less attractive.

It also means anonymous phones become much less pervasive.

One of the best deals for me recently was Thee with their Netflix option. The phone is usually 15gb or more, but access to Netflix is bandwidth unlimited. Also hotspotting Netflix is bandwidth unlimited.

I was skeptical as prior "unlimited" offers from Three were dodgy and after about 200gb in a month they permanently speed locked your sim

I was very surprised when I pulled 300gb in a fortnight, over hot-spot to my firetv, with no impact.

As you can imagine, for me living in hotels and short term let's, the cost of wifi is prohibitive and my biggest bandwidth sucker was movies.

This was such a good deal I was happy to use a third phone and pay £25 a month purely for my movie consumption.

Just part of understanding what you need and how you need to use it. Back in 2014 I went to Brussels to work. I was sharing a flat in the first month before I got my own and there was no WiFi. I took 2 laptops which had been off for six months and I forgot to update them. It sucked my 4gb monthly allowance on Vodafone in 4 days.

Reading T&C's is important. Understanding your needs and buying the package you need is even more important.

When buying a mobile phone contract the most important thing to do first, before going near a shop, is to understand what your needs are. Only then will you get what you need at the best price.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Previous

Return to Computers etc