Microsoft Edge browser - new version.

For all those techno questions

Microsoft Edge browser - new version.

Postby Workingman » 06 Feb 2022, 15:52

Fast, stable and I hated it because Microsoft only wanted it to work their way.

I never would use Chrome (or many clones) because of the Google privacy issues, so Opera was my favourite... then it got taken over by the Chinese. Firefox I always found clumsy and it needed tons of extensions to work effectively thus slowing it down... what to do?

What to do was to work with Edge to make it work my way, and I have finally done it.

It works OK out of the box if you do not mind tabs and links opening in the background or them being in some strange order. Why would you want a new home page when opening a new tab? Oh, and all those ads!

Two extensions is all it took! Worth the wait tbh.

Open Edge and go to Extensions in the toolbar - it looks like a biscuit with a bite taken out. Scroll to the bottom of the page and look for: "Can't find what you're looking for? You can also get extensions from the Chrome Web Store." then click on the web store link.

Do a search for TabsPlus and install. Do another for Adblock Complete and install. Lots of other Chrome extensions will now work with Edge due to pressure from the likes of me and many others, but you will probably not need them.

A play with their options and I now have an ad free browser with new tabs opening in the foreground and at the end of the list. I mean, why open a tab or link and have it in the background and in some random place where I cannot find it?
Workingman

Re: Microsoft Edge browser - new version.

Postby Suff » 07 Feb 2022, 01:04

I have made my peace with Edge too.

To control my Tabs home page I use Bookmark sidebar. This allows me to put my bookmarks where I want then and control them as I want. As a side benefit, I am also able to set my new tab home page.

Other things I do are to set up the home button and set the home page, turn off their preferred icons on the toolbar and switch on downloads.

I also use open Multiple urls from the Chrome store.

I stay logged out and don't use a Microsoft account to log in so don't get all that irritating auto logged in stuff. If I want to be connected to sync my favourites then I will do it.

On my mobile I've been using Kiwi browser which is also a chromium browser and supports chrome store extensions, making it all a bit more manageable.

I'd use edge on the mobile but it does not support chrome Web store yet.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 07 Feb 2022, 02:01

Two down... only a few hundred million to go. :D :D :D

At least Microsoft started listening to users via their forums and not only to their "group think" corporate developers. Their own extensions were piss poor in comparison to some of the ones made by individuals in the open source Chrome store.... though there is a lot of crap in there as well.

I still like Dolphin on Android for the little browsing I do on there. I also do not login... ;)
Workingman

Postby Suff » 07 Feb 2022, 12:30

Well like your issues with Opera, Mickeysoft killed IE. I used IE from V2 to 11 and was happy with the way it worked.

Forced to change I found the same issues you did.

Although I do still use Firefox from time to time because it is not integrated into the operating system I can have two logins to different office 365 tenants at the same time.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc