Microsoft Edge update causing problems

For all those techno questions

Microsoft Edge update causing problems

Postby Workingman » 05 Jun 2022, 17:13

The latest update, June '22 is causing some problems.

Here are some fixes.

Start Task Manager Ctrl Alt Del or from a right click on the taskbar. On the left find Edge. Right click and End Task, leave a few seconds then restart Edge your normal way.

Go to the three dots at the top right of the browser, scroll down and open Settings. Now click on Settings (three lines) at top left.

Scroll to About Edge and make sure it is up to date.

Click Settings again and go to Start, Home and new tabs section and disable Preload the new tab page for a faster experience option.

Click settings again and in the Privacy, search, and services section, Scroll down to Security and look for Enhance your security on the web. Toggle the chosen option off and then select Balanced then toggle back on.

Close Edge using the End Task as above then restart it.
Workingman

Re: Microsoft Edge update causing problems

Postby Suff » 06 Jun 2022, 09:11

WM, I never use the new tab page I have an add on which overrides it and sends it to my desired home page like IE.

I assume they borked the enhanced security? I use Edge for work so will experience that today.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 06 Jun 2022, 10:35

What really pisses me off with MS is that I have things set up my way but when an update comes in it resets a lot of things back to MS defaults and I have to go in and change things back manually.

You would think that with all the brilliant people working there they could come out with updates leaving personal choices alone.

By all means "offer" me the new bells and whistles, but please let me choose.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 06 Jun 2022, 16:25

Hence why I use Bookmarks sidebar and open multiple URLs.

Bookmarks sidebar overrides a range of Edge defaults and persists through updates. Open multiple URLs means I spend a lot less time working with edge features and more time just using it. Their right hand bookmarks? Not a chance.

I've never been much for installing "features" to override MS defaults and not much for deep changes to the OS. Way back in XP days I worked out how to move critical parts of the OS to other drives in order to gain significand speed advantages. Only to watch XP completely overwrite them and put default junk in the folders rather than honouring the link every time it did a major update.

However with Edge I have made an exception because it is basically Google tech and, therefore, relatively User hostile and "preaching". It is a bit like owning Apple tech, their way or the highway.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 06 Jun 2022, 21:45

The problem is that in general usage, once you get it working your way, it is better than Chrome, Opera and Firefox. It takes a bit of work, but then it's there. Then MS "upgrades" it and it is back to crap.

Just leave my personal settings alone.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 06 Jun 2022, 22:31

Workingman wrote:Just leave my personal settings alone.

I agree. But I know they won't so I change as little as I can. Now what would be nice is to have a personal settings backup and just reapply after any update.

Although this can work.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 06 Jun 2022, 22:46

No!

I don't want to keep going back, back, back, I just want to be left alone.

It's my computer, my choice. If I decide this is how I want things to be then they should respect that. Offer me things by all means, but do not impose them on me. Let me choose.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 07 Jun 2022, 09:54

I also agree with that, but things are as they are. Companies who write software only really pay lip service to the people who utilise that software.

I worked with a guy who was rabid about not backing up, that's what users do he said. Until his domain controller died catastrophically taking the encryption key for his workstation files with it. Including all the family photo's.

I keep 3 copies of all my data but my sync interval is slow. So I have an 8gb hdd sitting on the side waiting for me to back up the old board bios and write it to the new board I bought. If I can get the bios to work again after breaking two legs off.

Life is a compromise.
Suff

Return to Computers etc