BT email account error

For all those techno questions

Re: BT email account error

Postby Workingman » 12 Aug 2022, 15:40

Err, doesn't my client still use the same outgoing SMTP servers as webmail? According to my client they are the same?
Workingman

Postby Suff » 12 Aug 2022, 16:53

It does, but your client creates the message and deposits it into the server outgoing mailbox. The content of that mail, text, images, hidden text, HTML etc, is controlled by your client.

When you use webmail, you are logging in directly on the mail server. When you create the mail and click send the webmail deposits it into the server outgoing mailbox.

However, with the webmail, the content, text, images, hidden text HTML, etc, is governed by the code in the website which generates the mail. You have absolutely no control over it. So if a mail created by BT webmail fails to be sent because it contains unacceptable content, when the only user content is some plain text, then it is the BT site code which is filling it up with filter breaking junk. Therefore entirely BT's fault.

You can see the mechanics of connecting to and sending a mail, by hand direct on the server, here. Note I used an article including the OpenSSL process because there are no internet connected servers without SSL. Not should there be any internal one's either.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 12 Aug 2022, 18:56

So... don't use webmail. Use a client with multiple SMTP.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 13 Aug 2022, 09:32

Except that when you travel you are outside your network and the smtp server will not respond.

Then your mail setup becomes excessively complicated. BT avoided this with yahoo until they left.

I spent years showing my father how to set up his mobile to send outbound ntl mail through the Gmail servers.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Previous

Return to Computers etc