Confused .com

For all those techno questions

Confused .com

Postby victor » 07 Sep 2022, 09:29

So I have 1GB data on my Tesco mob..
My phone shows 159mb as being used
Tesco sent an sms stating I only had 102mb left .
chatting to them online I was told it was actually only 59mb left
victor

Re: Confused .com

Postby victor » 07 Sep 2022, 09:30

Don't understand these numbers
victor

Postby Workingman » 08 Sep 2022, 15:37

Not sure myself. A lot of this is phone / Android dependent.

To start, open Settings and search Data Usage

In there you should find your current total data usage. Tapping Mobile Data Usage will give you a list of all the apps eating your data. You can stop them from using data in the background - this often helps. You can also use that info to later go to Apps and control them even further.

Tapping Billing Cycle lets you have usage from your bill date. If your package updates on the 10th of the month then this is what you should set. Tap Billing Cycle and set a date - done. In here you can also set a Data Usage Warning and also Apply a Data Usage limit - set those limits just below what you are billed for. Do this on the next date your package starts.

There is also something called Data Storage. Settings and Device Maintenance. At the bottom is Storage. Clicking that lets you get rid of a load of crap.

This is just general. You can get more info searching for these things on your type of phone / Andriod version.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 08 Sep 2022, 17:41

Not all android systems are equal. Sadly. My data usage is under connection and sharing.

When you open settings there is a search bar. In the search type usage. It will give a list of options, one will be data usage. It should also tell you where in the menu it belongs directly under the description. For finding it again.

Data can be sucked by many apps. Whatsapp is one culprit. My Kiwi browser used 1.39gb last month. 600mb this month already. This is mobile data. Wifi data is much larger. 8.55gb in total compared to 1.95gb on mobile.

If you only have 1GB, you need to have a close eye on usage. My old Samsung used to have a threshold you could set on mobile data and the ability to set a warming. Neither my Xiaomi nor my Huawei phones have that ability. I just checked.

Personally I stopped looking at data usage when EU roaming came in and I increased my monthly data over 20gb. 1GB is very constrained unless you mostly use the phone on wifi.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 10 Sep 2022, 18:18

Any feedback, Vic?

It would be nice to know if what was said was useful or relevant. Your feedback might help others as well.
Workingman

Return to Computers etc