Printer

For all those techno questions

Printer

Postby cruiser2 » 14 Feb 2023, 12:32

I have a Xerox laser printer. It is nearly three years old.
It has stopped printing. Have done all the usual checks but it still will not print.
Am trying to decide wether to have this repaired-cost about £50.00 or buy a new one for about £150.00.
I do not need colour and I am only on my second roller. So it would be much cheaper than getting a cheaper printer which uses cartidges.

What would you do?
cruiser2

Re: Printer

Postby Workingman » 14 Feb 2023, 15:21

Cruiser, does it have scan and copy functions, and do those work?

It might not have, but before spending money try turning the printer off then unistalling the Xerox sofware and drivers. Turn it back on and then reinstall everything and try again. I asssume that you have a copy of the software... once reinstalled look for up to date drivers.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 14 Feb 2023, 19:05

Well first if it has a copy capability I'd try that to see if it is the actual printer mechanism or just the software. Then do what WM says to check the software.

If you use the printer very infrequently I would not go inkjet. I moved to colour laser because my ink printheads and pipes gummed up all the time. If you are not constantly using an inkjet it eventually gums up and you are stuffed.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby cruiser2 » 16 Feb 2023, 09:01

I fixed it!!
Uninstalled the drivers.
Then started to install them. In the instructions it says connect the printer to the computer. So I checked the cable. The one going into the tower
for the computer wasnot fully home.
Continued with the set up and did a trial print. Everthing is working correctly.
So simple yet so annoying.
cruiser2

Postby Workingman » 16 Feb 2023, 10:02

But you said that you had done all the "usual checks".

Sometimes these things take a nudge from others to do more "checks" so I am glad we could help. We saved you a few quid so mine's a pint of 1664, see you in Brum. ;) :D
Workingman

Postby Suff » 16 Feb 2023, 20:17

cables??? My printer has finally been connected to the wifi when I had to move it to a room without ethernet. To print all you need to be is connected to the home network. Phones, PC's ipad's everything.

Printing got easier.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc