A new Linux aiming for those unhappy Windows users

For all those techno questions

A new Linux aiming for those unhappy Windows users

Postby Suff » 19 Apr 2023, 21:26

[url=vocalvoices.gripsky.co.uk]WindowsFX[/url]

It claims to want to solve all your problems. All I've seen so far are a lot of paper and paint over the top of Ubuntu Linux. I've written this on Edge on WindowsFX.

Worth a look I guess.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Re: A new Linux aiming for those unhappy Windows users

Postby Workingman » 21 Apr 2023, 17:06

The last thing I want on my Win11 laptop is Android support. I mean, Why? just Why?

When someone comes up with a Linux version capable of natively running all my old 32 and 64 bit Windows programs (as Win11 does) then I might consider a swap. That's never going to happen so I will stick with Win 11... 12... 13...... 27....

I have invested enough money on Windows compatible software that works, so why would I change to the third rate Linux clones?
Workingman

Postby Suff » 21 Apr 2023, 20:45

True, for you and me it is hardly a viable solution.

However for young people today who grew up with Windows but are looking for a cheap way to live work and game, this may be just the stepping stone they need.

Although when you get down to peripherals and drivers for those peripherals, things become a LOT harder.

It is a curiosity I thought I'd share.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 23 Apr 2023, 00:24

I recently bought an Epson laser job - I only need B&W for letters / docs so why not?

Go online to get the W11 drivers, no problem. Win 7 to 11 are all there. Apple / Mac much the same. Linux....erm a basic driver - print to colour, greyscale and B&W with Save As (limited). Anything else go to GitHub and see what's there. Rotate. resize, PDF, PNG, JPEG - or forget it. You then need other software to manipulate / edit the file you saved.

I am not a big fan of MS but they do have things (mostly) sorted.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 24 Apr 2023, 21:59

Part of the reason I downloaded it was to get a feel for it. Once you get beyond skin deep it's just another Linux distro. A little bit easier at the front end, just as weird and wonderful at the back end.
Suff

Return to Computers etc