Linking laptop and PC

For all those techno questions

Linking laptop and PC

Postby medsec222 » 10 May 2023, 13:32

Hi All

I am away at the moment working on my laptop. One particular client often sends the same file in months later which has already been done. When I am away on my laptap I cant check because they are not linked. He has done it again today. I have thought a few times it would be better if the PC and the laptop were connected so I have access to all my files but I dont know how to do it. I will await advice. I hope it is easy to do. Thanks in advance.
medsec222

Re: Linking laptop and PC

Postby Suff » 10 May 2023, 19:34

Hi Medsec,

There are several ways.

First is to use an online store to store the files. Something like Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive. However if Confidentiality is an issue, free versions may be an issue.

Second you can use remote access software to access your PC at home. However the home PC would have to be on or be able to be started remotely (I use both of these from time to time). For this TeamViewer is free but if you look like you are over using it they start to nag you to subscribe and limit you.

There is a final option. I use this too and for most things how as TeamViewer is a pain in my rectum most days now because I have used it from company sites. This third option requires you to have a router which supports VPN access. It is fairly easy to set up but gets a bit technical if you have to use your ISP router to connect to the internet (as I do).

When you use the final option you literally make a connect to the network and you can access your PC as if you were sitting next to it. Again it does need to be on for you to access it.

The first option you don't need the PC alive at all. You just connect to the cloud drive and access the documents from there. I use that for company docs as I have a company Office365 business account and save company docs there. It costs but is worth it for me.

The other two options can be achieved by setting the bios to resume on power being restored and you can use an IOT (wifi), socket to switch the power off and on to the PC. With AC Resume enabled in the BIOS (a one time change), you simply shut down the PC, go to your mobile, turn the socket off, then when you want it back on again you turn the socket back on and the PC starts.

Your home internet does need to be on all the time for options 2/3.

I gave the options in increasing order of technical effort. But they all work and I use them all.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Re: Linking laptop and PC

Postby medsec222 » 11 May 2023, 05:44

Thanks Suff - I will digest all this when I am back home. I usually switch my PC off before I leave home so I will look at that option.
medsec222

Return to Computers etc