LoGging in to Email Account

For all those techno questions

LoGging in to Email Account

Postby cruiser2 » 14 Jun 2023, 17:18

I am trying to log into my outlook email account. I have not altered anyof the settings.

I get the first screen which is for my email address. When I click this to go to the next one for my pass word the screen just freezes. I cannot now look at any emails
or other info in this site.
I have another email adress using gmx which is working correctly. May stop using outlook.

Have tried to contact a local computer engineeer i have used before but he has not yet come back to me. I am out tomorrow and Friday So may have to wait till
Moday to get it fixed.

Any help much appreciated
cruiser2

Re: LoGging in to Email Account

Postby Workingman » 15 Jun 2023, 00:11

Cruiser, I get problems with Outlook when Win 10 or 11 updates, especially in the Edge browser. Yes, it would freeze and one way I found to unfreeze it was to use another browser - Chrome, Firefox, Opera etc. Most times that worked to unfreeze the Outlook site but then I had to do the username password crap and go into settings to restore it to my old way.

Outlook has become bloatware, so I now only use it as a throwaway email when sites demand that I hand over an email address just to read an article. It and Edge as now so closely enmeshed with Win 10 & 11 that changes in parts of one make changes in parts of others.

I use an email client to download emails and when Outlook was playing up even that could not get in. Of all the emails sites I have used gmx and zoho are by far the most stable.

One other thing... If you only use Outlook on one computer and it is always at home then try getting your browser to remember your login details and do a "remember me". That way you just open the site in a tab and you are straight in, none of the password / username garbage.

I can help if you are not sure.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 15 Jun 2023, 22:08

I had a similar problem with Outlook 2013. Checking the settings I found that Outlook said it was "upgrading" my local mailbox. Which it failed to do.

I had two options. Remove the account and re-add it or use my Office365 account installation to upgrade to office 2016. I chose the latter.

Do you know which version of Outlook you are on?
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby cruiser2 » 16 Jun 2023, 08:36

I am thinking of setting up a new account with hotmail or some other sytem.
In addition to the problem mentioned I am also getting a lot of junk mail. I can get as many as twenty in a day. I just block and delete them.

I know I will have to notify some people about the change but it will solve several problems.
cruiser2

Postby Suff » 16 Jun 2023, 19:42

I would take an extract of every mail received over the last 2 years and see which one's you have forgotten about if you are going to do that. I lost a lot of subscriptions when I lost an ISP account. I now pay for my main mail account as a result.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 21 Jun 2023, 12:51

Cruiser, you can still get a Hotmail or Live Mail account but you will still be using Outlook.com to sign in and will still get the same problems as they all come under your Microsoft account.

You are not using email client prgrams on your computer such as Outlook or Outlook 365 all you are doing is accessing Microsoft's email system via Outlook.com over the Internet.

You already have a gmx account but I would try to set up a new address on something like Zoho.com. Both sites offer you email, contacts and a calendar along with a few other things and are mainly advert free.

Leave Outlook alone, but try to login from time to time. All your old emails will still be there and you can import all your contacts from there to gmx or Zoho from their sites.

You can even recover your Outlook emails in different ways.
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 21 Jun 2023, 12:56

BTW, I use an email client called EssentialPIM Pro to download emails. However, I do visit the individual sites (gmx, zoho, outlook and gmail) every so often to mark things as spam. That way they get autodeleted and I never receive them.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 23 Jun 2023, 13:39

I had a really odd one just last week. My cousin asked me to have a look at his email as their Office365 had not updated the license correctly. I found that it was a login issue with the wrong account name which I fixed for them. They needed to send invoices for the business and it was not working.

But Outlook could not access the BT internet email. I also tried Thunderbird, no joy. In the end I had to give up on that and get them to log into the BT web page to manage that email.

Then the laptop was connected to my home network in France, about 2 hours ago. I now have the test message I sent on Saturday night; sitting in my inbox......
Suff

Return to Computers etc