Me Again

For all those techno questions

Re: Me Again

Postby Suff » 08 Nov 2023, 14:39

Actually I did some testing. The default. Templates appear. To be online or hidden but I am using 2019nfeom office365.

I noticed when I saved a template it did not default to the templates folder but to the root of my profile. Not sure why.

BTW the save butting is top left not right. DOH. I guess you wouldn't miss the text that says Auto save. Not sure when it came in but it annoys the hell out of me.

I did a whole drive scan of my laptop and it didn't come up with any templates. Which is why I assume mine is looking online.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 08 Nov 2023, 15:05

Ah! Another good reason for avoiding the cloud. :lol:

Mine:
D: Docs: Texts
Doc & Docx: X
Y
Z
Spreadsheets: X etc.
PDFs: X etc.
Presentations: X etc.
D: Images: X etc.
D: Music: Artists and Bands without the "The": A
B
XYZ are families, friends, companies and other 'official' etc. Images with years and months - weddings, holidays etc. Music self-explanatory. Everything goes to D: somewhere using MY default / choice. Set up once - used forever. Old school but works.

You get the drift. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby Suff » 08 Nov 2023, 18:26

Workingman wrote:Ah! Another good reason for avoiding the cloud. :lol:
You get the drift. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do, I do. :mrgreen: Mine are mostly on local LAN's as I use virtual servers to provide my network shares. A bit more complicated but it allows me to segregate hardware and do backups/syncs without impacting the main machine. I also have copies of copies of copies. Like the backup workstation I have on a VM. Last time home, red hot drive, DEAD. But I have a backup on another drive. Easy with VM's, it is just one file.

I use the cloud for mobility stuff. Ability to see it on phones, tablets, pc's, computer in the office, laptop, computer I take away with me. You know the regime.

For instance my car insurance is on the cloud. Anyone wants to see it I pull out my phone and open up the document from the cloud.

The 6TB of movies and TV, on the other hand, local and only local. I had a hard discussion with the sales team of a cloud drive provider about "my" media. They kept saying things I knew not to be true. So I hit them with a very specific example. Response? "Use somebody else".

Anyway back to the word docs. Personally, with the usage profile, I'd say open the file, save as before typing anything then go on from there. MS templates are not always required for this. I struggled to actually see the benefit of templates in most cases because it is as simple to have a blank document you can save as. The main reason I saw for templates is that you could restrict changes to template features once the document was saved. Which doesn't count in this instance.
Suff

Postby medsec222 » 11 Nov 2023, 13:26

Hi Guys - I had a bit of a brainwave. There were two templates on my laptop playing up so I sent an e-mail to myself enclosing the two templates from my PC that were working. I opened the e-mail on my laptop and downloaded both the documents. They were in read-only mode so I clicked to edit. I then saved them as the required templates in my Word folder.. I did a quick test on one of them and it seemed to work. So hopefully, next time I am in Wales and using my laptop all will be well. We will wait and see!
medsec222

Postby Suff » 14 Nov 2023, 02:04

Well done Meds. Sometimes the Nuclear option is the fastest.
Suff

Previous

Return to Computers etc