Me Again

For all those techno questions

Me Again

Postby medsec222 » 04 Nov 2023, 16:01

I use a template in Word for the basis of each letter. I rename each letter when I start typing and the original template should remain the same. It works OK on my PC.

On my laptop it is not working as it should. It used to work fine but it seems to have changed recently. I bring up the original template, put in the patient's name and then save as the document. So far so good. However, when I bring up the original template for the next letter, the name of the previous patient is on the original template. This is something new and I have no idea why it is doing this and I have no idea what to do about it. My main fear is that because it is my work I could make a mistake with unwanted information from a previous letter appearing on my original template.

Any ideas what to do? I hope my post is clear.
medsec222

Re: Me Again

Postby Workingman » 05 Nov 2023, 00:41

Ah, it seems like the old 'save as' problem.

It was, is, a pain. Let's call your form the Patient template.

Your make your blank template with no info just the headings to be filled in: Name; Address, NHS number etc. it needs to then be saved as a template, a .dot or .dotx not a .doc or .docx.

When you next open it to fill in the blanks it then needs to be 'saved as' patient xyz .doc or .docx. or even .pdf. In other words it needs to be a new file. If you just 'save' or 'save as' it will simply overwrite the template.

If done properly the next time you open the template it should be blank apart from the headings you originally set. It should not matter what device you use, be it a laptop, desktop or even a phone.

However.... not all devices sync the same way so always make sure your 'save as' for each patient is a name with a .doc. or .docx. suffix.

Hope this helps.
Workingman

Postby medsec222 » 05 Nov 2023, 10:09

Thanks Frank. I will have a try at this later on this morning.
medsec222

Postby Workingman » 05 Nov 2023, 13:54

Meds, one other thing.

I have assumed that you are using Microsoft Office software - Word, Excel. If so then my OP stands. If not and you have a compatible software such as Open Office or Ashampoo Office you have to force them to default to .dot .dotx for the templates and .doc .docx for the patient's files you are saving.

I use Ashampoo Office and I always, always, always check that I am using "Save as" to Microsoft extension versions such as .doc or .xls and not some weird and wonderful unknown extension that I can never open again! :shock:

I have learnt that lesson more than once. :lol:
Workingman

Postby medsec222 » 05 Nov 2023, 13:57

I have Microsoft Word Frank. I have been using save as for about five years and only recently did this problem come up on my laptop. I will follow your suggestions and hopefully all will be well.
medsec222

Postby Suff » 06 Nov 2023, 11:07

Hi Meds,

In the top right, when you open the template, make sure auto save is off.

Otherwise you need to save as the document before typing anything.

I get caught a lot on Share point with this at work. All documents there are auto save until you turn it off.

Sorry to be late to this I drove over Friday night and into an apartment Saturday morning then a MRI in the afternoon, 2 hours of driving,. Sunday was don't get up and relax day.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby medsec222 » 06 Nov 2023, 17:27

Hi guys, I haven't got an auto save function but I've got an auto recovery function. I noticed it was set on 10 minutes on the PC and only 5 minutes on the laptop. I am sure I always rename and save a new document within 5 minutes, but nevertheless I will give it a try. I literally just type the date and name of patient - it just takes seconds. If it doesn't work presumably I can turn auto recovery off completely. I have tried Frank's 'save as' as a template. It didn't seem to be saved in the same place as the other documents, but as I am not teccy I may have done it wrong. I will be testing everything out again when I am next in Wales.
medsec222

Postby Workingman » 06 Nov 2023, 19:28

Years since I used Word but from memory.... Open Word and go to File > Open then click.

That should open your profile folder. Somewhere it should ask for a filename and near there will be a dropdown with a list of file types with extensions. Look for Templates and click that and a list of all templates should be displayed - yours and Microsoft's.

If I am wrong I am sure Suff can show you the new way.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 07 Nov 2023, 22:25

Template files are .dot rather than doc or docx. They are saved in your profile somewhere, I'll have to go look for them.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 08 Nov 2023, 11:33

Suff wrote:Template files are .dot rather than doc or docx. They are saved in your profile somewhere, I'll have to go look for them.

That's what I said above. :D

They should all be in the Templates folder in Meds' profile.

I hate this stuff that's why I set up my own folder and file system on my D: drive so that all the same types of files go to relevant folders or sub-folders regardless of which software I used to create them. I never use "auto" anything, but it means having to cancel a lot of software "defaults". It is a bit of an initial chore but it makes my life easier in the long run.

Anyway, the 'normal' path in Windows Explorer with files unhidden under the View tab should be something like C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates or similar.
Workingman

Next

Return to Computers etc