Damned Win 11 update.

For all those techno questions

Damned Win 11 update.

Postby Workingman » 22 Dec 2023, 17:13

I like my laptop my way.... MY WAY.

Following the cumulative update back in the spring. I had to work for hours on end because it changed all my personalised settings. I had to manually change them all back to MY WAY. I even had to reinstall some softwares to get them to work again.

Once I had done working I then went into Settings and paused the updates for 5 weeks to stop it happening again and just kept doing that every month or so. Unfortunately I forgot this month and this afternoon the laptop updated - all my settings gone again!

However, this time I got them all back by uninstalling the update and restarting. That is not the same as a system restore btw. During the restart it kept telling me not to turn off the computer as it would restart itself - it took it four times and about 3/4 of an hour to clear out all its junk

I have now disabled the WindowsUpdate Service by doing this: Open the Run dialogue from the start button - right click and the menu appears. Type in services.msc and click OK. In the new window scroll down to WindowsUpdate then double left click on it. Look for Startup Type and in the drop down select Disabled. Click the Apply button then OK your way out.

This might be useful... or not.
Workingman

Re: Damned Win 11 update.

Postby Suff » 28 Dec 2023, 01:50

I just refused to upgrade from W10.

All this ripping your settings out is W11 based.

Turning off windows update is a solution but it does leave you open to a zero day bot hack.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby cruiser2 » 28 Dec 2023, 09:32

Am thinking of getting a new computer.

Do I have to have Windows 10 or 1 installed. Or is there another programme which I can use. I use it mainly for emails, writing reports, playing
simle games such as solitaire and editing photos.

No high pwered stuff just simple straoght forward applications.

What is best for my use?
cruiser2

Postby Workingman » 28 Dec 2023, 11:18

Cruiser, what operating system are you using now, Win 7?

If so you can still upgrade to Win 10 free by going here: https://www.techadvisor.com/article/147 ... ws-10.html Go to option 2. and click on the Microsoft Website link in para two then follow the instructions to "Upgrade this PC". All checks are done to prevent you doing damage.

You CAN still buy Win 10 laptops but they have become very expensive - supply and demand. Not worth it IMHO. An alternative is to buy a copy of Win 10 from the UK Box link in the article, option 1. - choose Home, however you will need to confirm your current laptop will support it before you buy. By going the Microsoft route from their website, as I mentioned earlier, that is done for you and if your machine is not supported the upgrade will fail.

I would stay away from Linux / Chromebooks. The learning curve can be steep and many of the regular programs they use are far inferior to MS or MS clones.
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 30 Dec 2023, 16:58

Bump!

Cruiser, any joy with your research? I know it's a busy period this time of year, so maybe best to wait till after NY and all the so-called "sales".
:D :D :D
Workingman

Postby cruiser2 » 30 Jan 2024, 16:55

WM

I don,t have a laptop. I have a tower which is nearly three yeas old. It has become very slow to start and may want a clean and service.

Am thinking of going to a local shop to se what they can offer as I want the info etc transferred which I could not do. I have W10 so may get an upgrade as well.

Wil let you know what I do.
cruiser2

Postby Workingman » 31 Jan 2024, 15:17

Cruiser may I suggest that when you take the tower in to be looked at you question the person about laptops with a built in DVD. a 15.6" screen and an SSD? They are about the same price as a tower and everything is there, plus they take up much less space on your desk / table and use a lot less electricity.

Keep you old wired mouse as a laptop touchpad can take some getting used to, but you can ditch the rest - eventually.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 10 Feb 2024, 00:29

There is a difference between copying data and cloning a system. If you get a laptop they will likely want to keep the operating system on it that it came with. This means copying your data but unlikely all your apps and settings unless you have all the software media and activation keys.

Always worth discussing with them what you want and then seeing what they offer.

Some basic rules.

You get what you pay for
Nothing less than 8GBytes RAM. 16 is my absolute base but I recognise not everyone will need what I do.
Nothing less than 256Gbytes of SSD. If you go too low you will always run out of space on Windows updates
Do not take an Intel N series or J series cpu or a Celeron. Intel I series, I3 is fine or AMD Ryzen series and Ryzen 3 is fine.

Beyond that it's up to you what your preference is.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 12 Feb 2024, 17:14

I always copy over cloning. It means that I only get the things I want and use regularly.

I have 12 GB of RAM and my 256 GB SSD is partitioned. One is for Windows and its folders and Program Files. The other is for Installers and their serials in one folder as well as audio, image and video files in their folders. Everything goes there as I do not use the default folders - Desktop to Videos - on my C drive.

Yes, I know that I am odd, but I am happy. :D
Workingman

Postby Suff » 13 Feb 2024, 00:46

Workingman wrote:Yes, I know that I am odd, but I am happy. :D

And that is the important part.

My light laptops are 16gb,main one is 32gb, my desktops are 64gb and I'm extending my servers to 128.

Across my various storage I now have a little short of 80TB but I have a lot of virtual machines and I rip my DVD/BD to disk so I can use Kodi to play them.

What you need tends to be very dependent on what you do. Which is why I put in my requirements for a base level. I recognise that others don't have my needs.

The 16GB base though? That is what my work delivered on my work Laptop. It constantly ran out of memory just with office. So I bought myself 2x 32GB sodimms and put them in it. Works perfectly now, real flyer.
Suff

Return to Computers etc