Microsoft Copilot

For all those techno questions

Microsoft Copilot

Postby TheOstrich » 14 Feb 2024, 20:27

The latest monthly Windows 10 update seems to have installed something called Microsoft Copilot on my desktop.

Is this just a fancy search engine or what? What does it do differently to Google or Bing Search (i.e. is it worth investigating)?
TheOstrich

Re: Microsoft Copilot

Postby Workingman » 14 Feb 2024, 22:19

Ossie, this came in on my last Win 11 update along with other crap - you might have seen my other thread.

It is an AI tool to work with Windows 365 programs but as I do not have 365 I looked to uninstall it, however, it did interfere with the Edge browser. Unfortunately, I have Win 11 Home edition so uninstalling is not an option. It can be disabled but you might need a registry edit to do it safely.
As you are on Win 10 I would look on a search engine in the normal manner for detailed instructions for your version of Win 10. You can at least hide the button by going to Settings>>>Personalization>>>Taskbar.

If you are going to edit the registry make sure to do a backup before you start.
Workingman

Re: Microsoft Copilot

Postby Suff » 20 Feb 2024, 17:36

Interesting. I'm on Win10 and have not seen it yet. Perhaps because my machines spend a lot of time in France but are UK machines which MS knows. They don't push some updates when you are out of your home location.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc