Screen blanks out for a second

For all those techno questions

Screen blanks out for a second

Postby TheOstrich » 10 Jul 2013, 14:14

This is happening, usually once per session, when the computer has been booted up and I've been on it for perhaps a few minutes.

The monitor blanks out for a second, then comes back on again. Disconcerting more than anything else.

I think, once, it re-sized it's parameters when it re-engaged, but that's only happened the once.

The PC's new (2013), the monitor's possibly three years old (or more), not sure exactly as I think it's a cascade from one of Master O's old systems.

What do you think? - graphics card problem on the new PC, or just simply some sort of incompatability with the monitor? I haven't tried a different monitor, I can live with the problem as long as it's just a hardware issue and ultimately nothing serious. No possibility of it being anything more sinister, is there?
TheOstrich

Re: Screen blanks out for a second

Postby Workingman » 10 Jul 2013, 16:52

I had a similar problem with this fairly new (2012) laptop. It would boot quickly and looked ready to go with all the icons on the taskbar showing and the menu from the start button working. I would start some software, usually the browser, and within a few seconds I would get a mini-micro-nano-split second of a blank screen.

In my case it turned out to be a W7 "problem" in that it has a thing for services starting called "Automatic (Delayed Start)". Once that was removed things went back to normal as in good old XP.

My solution: Control Panel>>>Administrative Tools>>>Services. Run down the list and change all the Automatic (Delayed start) entries to Automatic - double click, Startup type, Automatic, apply - and reboot. It takes a few seconds longer to boot than it did, but the blank screen no longer happens. Make a note of which ones get changed so that you can undo the changes if other problems arise.

If that does not solve it then it might be an idea to look more at the graphics side of things - new drivers, monitor refresh rates, etc..
Workingman

Postby TheOstrich » 10 Jul 2013, 23:13

Many thanks, WM ! Yes, it's a W7 operating system .....

I'll have a play along the lines you suggested and see if it cures it.
TheOstrich

Postby Suff » 11 Jul 2013, 04:03

Personally I'd have thought it was the graphics driver being tardy on negotiating the screen.

However, it could be a control app which is on delayed start, renegotiating the display properties once it loads.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby TheOstrich » 11 Jul 2013, 09:53

Thanks, Suff !
TheOstrich

Return to Computers etc