Flickr not responding

For all those techno questions

Flickr not responding

Postby Aggers » 01 Aug 2013, 10:58

I have two accounts with Flickr, but lately, when I try to access either, the opening page freezes up and
I can't do anything with it, not even scroll down the page. A message appears "Flickr is non responding",
and whatever I do is to no avail - I just have to exit.

This doesn't happen with any other website I visit. Any ideas?
Aggers

Re: Flickr not responding

Postby Workingman » 01 Aug 2013, 12:45

Aggers, looking round the web it appears that you are not alone since the smartphone app became popular. Many people have patiently waited till Flickr responds only to find that then they cannot upload photos.

Have you tried using an alternative browser, say, Chrome?
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 01 Aug 2013, 14:08

Frank - The only browser I have is the one that came with the computer, ie Internet Explorer.

Some time ago you mentioned on here that you had several browsers.
This puzzled me, as I fail to appreciate the reason why you should need more than one.
I would appreciate your comments and recommendation.
Aggers

Postby Workingman » 01 Aug 2013, 14:47

John, the browser you use is a personal choice, a bit like the newspaper you read.

I never liked IE, even when it got tabbed browsing.

I used to like Opera because of its tabbed browsing - long before any of the others did it. I could also organise the tabs my way. Sadly it has changed and I no longer use it.

There is also Firefox, and its many clones. Another tabbed browser, which, with add-ons, can also organise tabs my way.

Then there is the new kid on the block, Chrome, and its clones. This is also a tabbed browser, they nearly all are nowadays, but it is a bit more restricted in what can be done with them.

In the same way that you can read as many papers as you like you can also use as many browsers as you like. Here are two I use:

http://www.waterfoxproject.org/ this is a version of Firefox optimised for W7 64 bit.

http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-too ... rowser.php is a Chrome clone which does not give feedback to Google.

They can both import your favourites/bookmarks from IE should you wish.
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 01 Aug 2013, 18:56

Thanks, Frank.

I think I will wait until Flickr put their house in order. In fact I shall might drop Flickr anyway,
as I find it most difficult to understand, since they have messed it about. Uploading is alright,
but downloading or deleting I find is almost impossible (for me).

With regard to alternative browsers, I am wary of downloading anything off the Internet, as my
past experience has shown that you can't help downloading a load of trouble you didn't expect.
Aggers

Postby Workingman » 01 Aug 2013, 20:00

John, I can promise you that those links I gave will not put anything other than the browsers on your computer.
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 01 Aug 2013, 22:51

I have now down-loaded Comodo Dragon and, BINGO, Flickr is now responding. :kick: :kick: :kick:

Thanks a lot, Frank
Aggers

Postby Workingman » 01 Aug 2013, 23:17

John, Chrome clones are reputed to have a quicker script engine on SOME sites, not all.

There were, are, three basic page renderers: WebKit, Gecko and Triident - there are others. They all have pluses and minuses, some are better on some sites than others.

That's why I use them all at some time. :shock: :lol:
Workingman

Postby Suff » 05 Aug 2013, 08:50

Hi guys,

Usually, when this happens, I enable compatibility mode in IE (the little broken page icon in between the magnifying glass icon and the refresh icon at the end of the address bar. This almost always works for me.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Computers etc