No internet - updated

For all those techno questions

Re: No internet

Postby Suff » 07 Aug 2013, 11:14

Hi Ria, I sent a mail but wasn't sure if you got it. Last night I was shattered and left work before 5pm.

Has anyone suggested the microfilter? It's uncommon but does happen.

Also, if you want, I can have a look at it for you as I'm back in the country??? They won't tell you but the first place to go, when all this fails, is to log into the router and see what the router is saying on it's diagnostics. That tells you what the line connection is like, noise etc.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby meriad » 07 Aug 2013, 11:41

:lol: :lol: :lol: indeed Frank - I did feel like a bit of a numpty yesterday when I got home.... LOL

Suff - thanks yes - I did get your email but replying from my phone is a pain in the proverbial so I was going to (and will) reply from my work computer :) I wouldn't even know how to log into the router so I may well end up taking you up on your offer. And as for the microfilter - what and where is that???
meriad

Postby Workingman » 07 Aug 2013, 12:12

Ria, you already swapped the microfilter to no avail. :(
Workingman

Postby meriad » 07 Aug 2013, 12:29

ah, microfilter and splitter I take it then are the same thing? :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol: I used to think I was quite computer savvy, but realise just how woefully little I know :D
meriad

Postby Workingman » 07 Aug 2013, 12:38

My fault..... :oops: I kept calling it a micro filter/splitter instead of simply a microfilter (different spelling as well ;) ).
Workingman

Postby meriad » 07 Aug 2013, 14:18

certainly NOT your fault Frank - you've been a huge help so thank you! It's me that's being totally daft about this whole matter :lol:

As a by the by; working on the assumption that the router turns out to be faulty, I contacted Maplin to see if they knew if I could use a router bought from them with my sky box but their tech department seems to think that I HAVE to get a replacement router from Sky directly and that I cannot just buy one from anywhere. Absolute rip off really as to get a new router from Sky will either cost me £70 or I have to tie myself in for another 12 months broadband; whereas a router from Maplin only costs £30

:evil: :evil: :evil:
meriad

Postby Workingman » 07 Aug 2013, 16:14

Ria, I have done a bit of reading round and it appears that the use of another non-Sky router is a grey area. It is against Sky T&Cs, but it is sort of accepted by Sky that people do it. The problem is getting Sky's login details to set up the new router.... I'll look for an app. ETA Read thise: http://pathogenrush.blogspot.co.uk/2010 ... actor.html

However, I found this: http://help.sky.com/broadband/problems- ... overy-tool

If Suff calls in it might be a trick he could use.... if all else fails.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 07 Aug 2013, 16:49

Thanks Frank. Absolutely my fault as I didn't read closely enough, or I would not have asked.

I've downloaded the sky tool and I'll leave the link up for the other page. I have 2 different mobile internet solutions with tethering so unless there is no Three or Voda network I can be connected at all times.

I actually have one of the Netgear routers, non crippled, and so long as we can get the password and log in, it will be possible to have a look and see what the router is doing.

I've got spare network cables, two machines and internet access in my rucksack.... Geek I know, but I need it.

The only option I can see for dealing with a Sky router is to switch off the wifi and uplink a different router to give a better wifi signal. Always assuming that the router is actually connected to the internet.

I've read that Sky have enabled the WAN login for the routers and they log in remotely to adjust and tune the routers. Most people are annoyed by this, but I have this with France Telecom and my Orange LiveBox. They don't give me the root password so I can only do so much with the router. Then again, when the router failed, the new one connected to the network and fully configured itself, without me doing a thing. So it's swings and roundabouts.

Ria, I know the pain. I have one of the largest mobiles going and I still HATE doing my email on it....

Reply sent.
Suff

Postby Suff » 08 Aug 2013, 07:38

Just a short update.

I logged into the router with admin and sky whilst connected with ethernet. The router was reporting no dsl/line fault.

I spend a while on the phone with the sky tech, changed the rj11 telephone cable and plugged the microfilter direct into the test socket In the BT master socket with the phone disconnected.

No joy. All tests from the Sky end show no line fault.

We've arranged with Sky that I'll bring my own router (I'm sure I still have one here), Friday evening and I'll plug it in to test whether DSL is live. If it is, Ria will get Sky to send a new modem and will renew for 12 months to make it free.

I had a discussion with the Sky tech and we cut hours out of the process by the fact that I use the same language as them. They tell me they won't even ask a user to log into the router as most of them won't be able to follow simple instructions to get there or even be able to tell them what is on screen once there. It's interesting what they meet. One lady this tech talked to; told her she didn't know what a plug was or how to plug it into the power socket. I wouldn't do their job for any amount of pay....

Hopefully we'll have an answer on Friday.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 08 Aug 2013, 09:51

Suff wrote:I logged into the router with I had a discussion with the Sky tech and we cut hours out of the process by the fact that I use the same language as them.

That I understand.

From what you say the tests show no faults through the test socket - the faceplate - the microfilter - the DSL cable and into the router. I wonder if the techie tried to flash the router, they can apparently do that from their end.

No matter, at least Ria will get a new box and a further 12 months guarantee.
Workingman

PreviousNext

Return to Computers etc