Another little niggle

For all those techno questions

Re: Another little niggle

Postby Workingman » 09 Aug 2013, 12:20

John....

These things are a PITA sometimes, I mean how difficult is it for them to allow a new email address?

I must say that I never go to my ISP for an email address, it is too much hassle should I ever leave........

I wish that I had asked earlier but have you considered one of the more reliable free email providers e.g. Gmail or GMX, say?

https://accounts.google.com/ or http://www.gmx.co.uk/

Also, have you been able to transfer your contacts list or do you keep them in an address file on your computer?
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 09 Aug 2013, 20:28

They told me that the change-over would be done today, but I have just sent Emails to test if this had been done, and it hasn't.
( I should explain that I do have another Email address, with Yahoo.)

If the change-over has not been done by tomorrow, I shall try and find a UK telephone number to ring.
I don't like these overseas call centres, as it is sometimes hard to tell what they are saying. Today they kept me waiting for half an hour,
and then transferred me to another department for another half-hour wait. (The classical music provided was OK, albeit repetitious. :roll:

Thanks for the lnfo re free Email providers. I may use one of these if BT doesn't do what I expect, but I do want to close down my existing
BT one as I feel too many spammers know it.

With regard to my contacts list, I don't know where it is, but I don't have that many contacts.
Aggers

Postby Workingman » 09 Aug 2013, 21:33

Personally I would just leave BT to do what they want and set up a free email address - you are then free to do as you please outside of their 'rules' and systems. No more India.

You should be able to export your contacts, but if you only have a few it's not a big problem.
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 10 Aug 2013, 22:20

Frank: I've set up a new Email address with GMX and that seems to be working OK.

Their welcome message came in on my Yahoo page, and that suits me.

BT have not carried out the change-over yet, but I'll give 'em until Monday. I might do as you suggest and dump them.
Aggers

Postby Aggers » 14 Aug 2013, 22:46

An update, Frank.

I rang up BT again on Tuesday, using a different telephone number, but this resulted in yet another person whom I found almost impossible to understand.

I told him that they had not deleted my original BT Email address but he said they had and insisted on showing me how to access the new address I had asked for.
It transpired that this is a BT/Yahoo address and I had already have a Yahoo one , which complicated the business. I'm just about fed up with BT.

I've already fixed up an account with GMX, which seems to be working well, so I will stick with that, plus my original Yahoo address, and just not bother with BT any more.

I think that, when I have notified a new address where necessary, I will have to write to BT and tell them that they must cancel my original address, which is still active..

Aren't they a pain in the whatsit ?

P.S. Is there any way of making GMX the one that comes up when I click on "Windows Live Mail" ?
Aggers

Postby Workingman » 15 Aug 2013, 10:34

Go to Tools>>>Accounts and in the new screen go to the Mail tab. Highlight the GMX account and click 'Set as Default' then Close.

This should make GMX the default account for sending mails and make it visible in the From field. You can still send mail from your Yahoo account by clicking the From field and choosing it from the drop down when composing an email.

ETA that is for the older version. In the new version all you do is right click on the account and choose 'Set as default account', that's it!
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 16 Aug 2013, 22:22

I can't find "tools", as I haven't got a Menu Bar.

My instruction book says that clicking ALT will show the menu bar, but it doesn't.

Any ideas?
Aggers

Postby Workingman » 16 Aug 2013, 22:57

When in the mail screen simply right click on the GMX account and In the new menu select 'Set as default account'. Done. Your outbound emails will now use GMX as the sent account.
Workingman

Previous

Return to Computers etc