New broadband, new router

For all those techno questions

New broadband, new router

Postby Diflower » 10 Oct 2013, 08:45

We changed broadband provider last week; set up the new router, no problem, except the pc didn't at first let us connect to the new network. A bit of jiggling and it did.
Next morning though, it still didn't connect automatically. 'The settings for this network do not match the settings saved on this computer' (maybe not word for word but that's the gist of it).

When I had time I phoned their tech help (it's free), and we spent 97 minutes getting it to connect, then not, in turns. At first the guy was convinced I must be typing the password incorrectly, but being a sensible person I had triple-checked that (several times). We eventually changed the password and went into explorer to reset it, the pc didn't recognise it...all sorts of attempts. Reboots of pc, switching off router, etc., etc.

Btw we didn't connect with the ethernet cable because, while not impossible, it's not easy - the main socket's in the hall, this pc's in the l/room.
In the end, we got it to connect and I was worn out - plus had places to be - so left it at that and would wait to see what happened the next morning. And it connected, automatically, and has each day since - until today :roll: I rebooted pc and switched router off then on and it was ok again.

Anyways, in amongst this long phone call last week, he said we had the 'standard' router, but because we were having problems - and obviously it's a brand new account - they'd be happy to send us their supposedly brand new, topnotch router. Which arrived yesterday, in a bigger box than the first one.
So today I guess we'll disconnect the first one and plug in this new one. What I'd like is to be forearmed, so if anyone has any advice on what to do if the same problem happens, I'd be really grateful :)

Oh yes, also, at one point, the tablet happily connected to the network (while on this tech help phone call), even when the pc wouldn't. Don't know if that helps.
There must be something on this pc somewhere that's saving an old, or the wrong, password? :?
Diflower

Re: New broadband, new router

Postby Workingman » 10 Oct 2013, 11:35

Before you begin make a note of your network(s) name(s) (SSIDs) and passwords (keys) just in case.

Right click on the network icon in the system tray and choose Open Network and Sharing Centre. Click on the Network icon and at the bottom of the new window click on Manage or delete network locations. Right click on the ones you want to ditch and hit the Delete button.

You can now set-up a new wireless network on your new router and PC.... oh, and all your other devices.
Workingman

Postby Diflower » 10 Oct 2013, 13:27

I will WM :)
Handily they put a sticker on the back of the router with the network name and password

We did do that with the deleting old networks, etc, with the first one :?
But this time I think I will delete the old one before plugging in the new router.
Wish me luck :D
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 10 Oct 2013, 13:34

Good luck. ;)
Workingman

Postby Diflower » 10 Oct 2013, 14:40

Ten minutes, no problems, up and running :D
Diflower

Postby Suff » 10 Oct 2013, 18:03

I have found 1 way of being absolutely guaranteed to get a wifi connection, every single time, without fail, across multiple routers.

1. Connect a wired cable to the router
2. Delete every single setting for the wifi, including MAC scanning
3. Reset every wifi setting to my own default set
3. Connect my machine to the network with the same saved settings.

Job done.

Every other way I have seen requires some kind of faith that the manufacturer of the router and the manufacturer of the operating system and the manufacturer of the wifi card in the desktop/laptop, are on the same page..... Not very likely.

I don't allow one time setup keys, I don't allow Quick setup, I don't allow any "intelligence" at all in the router. It does what it's told and I tell the laptop or pc what to do.

In this way I get my security, my password and I know what my router is doing. It really is the only way.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Diflower » 10 Oct 2013, 19:55

I do agree about not doing the 'quick' setup, there was a cd which I binned :D
Yeah, the cable to the router was the b*gger (assuming that's ethernet cable).

To do that we have to disconnect the whole pc set-up, wheel it out to near the hallway (that's where the master phone socket is, and where the router's plugged in) - can't get it quite out there - and squeeze yourself in the tiny gap...it's no fun.
And with the newer routers, you really shouldn't need to, so I do think the one they've now sent is a better one, it worked instantly :)
Diflower

Postby Suff » 11 Oct 2013, 07:31

Diflower wrote:And with the newer routers, you really shouldn't need to, so I do think the one they've now sent is a better one, it worked instantly :)

For the current crop of PC's and their network adapters, yes I agree, however how long do you expect it to last? For 10 years, through massive changes in adapters and software, my LIveBox router served wireless to everyone who asked. All I had to do was give them the key and it worked. When I changed the router, because it died, I reset the router and entered the exact same details as I had used for the previous router. Everyone who had come to our house and connected, continued to connect on the new router exactly the same as they had on the old one.

That is what "dumb" systems are about. You tell them what to do and they go and do it every day 24 hours a day 366 days a year.

Early in my computing life one of my managers said to me "God protect me from forgiving systems. Because you never know what they _thought_ you were asking them to do". He was right and it's a mantra I have used throughout my computing life. So called "smart" systems are there to try and make people believe that they don't need to learn anything in order to use extremely complex computer systems. Well sometimes you don't. Then again, sometimes you just don't know what they "thought" you were telling them to do; when it all goes wrong.

As for connecting to the router... This might help. It's what I use in this scenario.
Suff

Postby Diflower » 11 Oct 2013, 09:17

It worked without and connected automatically this morning, so unless it goes wrong I won't worry :)
And I don't really care how long it lasts, we didn't have to pay for it :D
Diflower

Postby Suff » 11 Oct 2013, 11:23

You will the first time you want to connect the latest and greatest mobile phone to it and it doesn't work.... :-P :-P :-P
Suff

Next

Return to Computers etc