Abobe Flash Player

For all those techno questions

Abobe Flash Player

Postby Aggers » 19 Nov 2013, 23:39

For some time now, on various websites that I visit regularly, I keep getting a notice appearing saying that I need to install
an Adobe Flash Player, although I don't see that I need one, and I don't like downloading anything now, having been landed with
some problems in the past.

Any advice, please ?
Aggers

Re: Abobe Flash Player

Postby Workingman » 20 Nov 2013, 13:57

Hi John,

Adobe Flash player is needed for you to watch such things as reports on, say, BBC News website, but it is also the driver for many adverts with moving images on commercial sites.

If you do not have it (Shockwave Flash plugin) the site will usually tell you that the report/ad will not play and you will need to get Adobe Flash Player or the latest upgrade.

Providing you are directed to the Adobe website for the player/upgrade everything should be OK, but a word of warning! As with many downloads you can also get other "stuff". Depending on the product, Adobe could offer to install for you some junk from McAfee, Google Chrome Browser and Google Toolbar, be sure to untick the boxes if you do not want these things.

But try this first: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ and make sure to untick McAfee. Simply run the installer from the site.
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 20 Nov 2013, 22:53

Thanks, Frank. I'll get round to that by and by, and will take note of your warnings.

At the moment another little thing has happened that you may be able to advise me on.

My favorites bar has disappeared. :roll:

I can access them by bringing up the favorites manager on Control+Shift+O, but obviously
that is not so handy as clicking a link on the favorites bar.

I'm sure it is probable something simple - but you know me !!
Aggers

Postby Workingman » 20 Nov 2013, 23:09

In Chrome or clones left click on the Chrome/Dragon logo button. Go to Bookmarks and tick Always show Bookmarks Bar.

In IE right click in the toolbar area and tick Favorites bar.

In Firefox clones go to Options and tick Bookmarks Toolbar.
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 20 Nov 2013, 23:53

Thanks, Frank. I'm back to normal now,

I don't know what I'd do without you.

I think that this business was deliberately brought about by some website, because
when I started up, an advert appeared, with a name I hadn't heard of, saying if I wanted
favorites why not download their browser. I hadn't realised then that my favorites bar had gone.
Aggers

Return to Computers etc