Windows damned update.

For all those techno questions

Windows damned update.

Postby Workingman » 24 Jul 2015, 19:08

Last night I let windows do its update(s)

Today all my laptop peripherals will not work... keyboard, mouse, printer and so on. They all run off a mains powered hub and mine is no longer supported. Its a hub for goodness sake! :x

I have had to go through all the updates till I found those with HID (Human interface device) updates and roll them back. I have also had to find all my internet logins that got removed. :roll:

There are times when I really dislike Microsoft.
Workingman

Re: Windows damned update.

Postby Suff » 26 Jul 2015, 19:49

Sympathies. This is a real pain when it happens.

I don't think I can recall a time it's ever happened to me unless that's what happened to my Kensington Dock (USB3), which suddenly lost the ability to see it's network adapter. Odd because I have the identical device connected to my Laptop which is W8.1 and it does not have an issue.

I'm assuming you don't have system restore switched on (I don't), or that it is not large enough to be able to back out the changes???

At least it's not a reinstall. With V8.x of Lotus Notes (Eclipse variant), it took me 6 months to work out how to recover one of the failure it used to get. OK I had a bit of work to do, but full reinstall of that client is a real pain and you have to do more work after.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 26 Jul 2015, 21:18

No, no system restore, and still on W7 on the laptop.

Phone and tablet are both W8.1 and without problems, so far.

Thankfully I have time a plenty and a problem solving mind. :lol:
Workingman

Postby Diflower » 26 Jul 2015, 22:51

I have nowhere near your amount of knowledge, but something similar happened to me one time.
No clue what to do, so I just went to control panel and uninstalled the latest update - is that too simplified?
Diflower

Postby Suff » 26 Jul 2015, 23:38

Diflower wrote:I have nowhere near your amount of knowledge, but something similar happened to me one time.
No clue what to do, so I just went to control panel and uninstalled the latest update - is that too simplified?

No it's fine if you only put one update in. Sometimes I get 80 or more updates as I have so much software installed which is maintained by Microsoft updates. When you are in that state, you do need to go and find out what the update did. If it's an office fix and your USB driver is borked it's unlikely to be the problem...

It's just a matter of dates when the update was installed and a slow dogged determination to find out which one it was that did the damage (by description normally) and taking them out one by one.

It's more a case of reading, matching and experimenting by uninstalling and rebooting. This is what WM is alluding to in the time and the mindset.

You don't need a huge amount of information, but you do need to know how it's applied. Mrs S goes on about how I know so much about computing therefore she shouldn't bother because she'll never learn it. No matter how many times I tell her it is basic knowledge extrapolated to "fit" whichever system I'm looking at, she does not believe me.

I was talking to a friend of #1 son last night at his BBQ. His friend is mechanically skilled and has in depth tuning and upgrading experience on engines, gearboxes and suspension. He tells me he's a techophobe.... :lol: :lol: I told him I could describe computing to him in mechanical terms which he could understand and relate to. I'm not sure he believed me but it's what I do so I don't see how he could not cope...
Suff

Postby Diflower » 26 Jul 2015, 23:54

Aah well actually yes, I did know there was just the one update at the time, I'd ignored them for a while but only one said it was really important, so that's all that had been done.

I'm not completely ignorant, I worked in IT for a good few years and loved it, but what I did and home computing have not much in common ;)
Diflower

Postby Suff » 27 Jul 2015, 07:12

Di, unless you work in Desktop support, there are very few jobs in IT which equate to home computing. My job is absolutely nothing like that. Even when I worked in my first job in IT in a 12 man company we still had engineers who did most of the desktop stuff. I just took an interest for my own knowledge.

I rarely see just one update and I always apply all updates, optional or otherwise, unless they are for hardware I no longer use such as office printers from offices I never go to any more. As such I didn't know if it was only one update or not. You're well ahead of most users, who wouldn't know or count how many were installed. Because you take an interest.
Suff

Postby Diflower » 27 Jul 2015, 07:57

It was because I was in a hurry lol, that's how I knew I'd only let it do the one ;) :lol:
Diflower

Postby Suff » 27 Jul 2015, 17:12

Life's like that sometimes isn't it. The need to rush limits your choices when searching for a problem. :P :P

I, on the other hand, came home on Friday night to my other ESXi server which holds my other source of movies, music and TV to find the screen saying

AHCI Error F3
Press F1 to continue....

An hour later with one broken SSD in my hand I managed to get it working again.....

I'd prefer that it happened your way but my technology life seems to be running in the opposite track right now... :roll: :roll:

I've never seen that particular error before but it was kind of obvious when the whole system paused for 30 seconds on reboot and then spat out the name of that hard drive...
Suff

Postby manxie » 28 Jul 2015, 19:39

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Maybe that explains why my new wireless mouse and keyboard stopped working after I did the update

All becomes clear said the blind man.............I HOPE lol

Manxie xx
manxie

Next

Return to Computers etc