Windows 10 snippets.

For all those techno questions

Windows 10 snippets.

Postby Suff » 11 Aug 2015, 07:30

I'll update this over time.

Here is today's new snippet.

W10 Home does not allow you to control Windows updates, including the reboot after installation. Only Pro and Enterprise allow this.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Re: Windows 10 snippets.

Postby Workingman » 12 Aug 2015, 15:59

This is a good thread, thanks Suff.

I had read about losing control of updates, but I am also reading that they can be rolled back as per 8. True?
Workingman

Postby Suff » 12 Aug 2015, 19:42

I see you can uninstall them but they state you have to go into safe mode. But you can do that from the control pane. Well I can. I assume system restore can do this, but I don't use it so I don't know.

Re the snippet above, you can work around it by setting your network connection (wireless or wired or both), to metered. When you do that, new options appear to allow you to control when it's downloaded. This makes sense.
Suff

Postby Weka » 13 Aug 2015, 11:14

Loving the snippets Suff. I'm downloading win10 now
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Postby Suff » 13 Aug 2015, 19:11

For those who are interested, when I do my first W10 clean install, I'll post how to avoid logging in with a Microsoft account. It's not so important for now as the upgrade honours what was there before; although it might be useful for creating new users (never tried it). However I noted in the preview that they had fixed OneDrive so you could log in with a different account from the user (broken in W8).

My laptop is still tied up trying to extricate me from the server mess and I'm hoping that will be resolved this weekend. So I can do the upgrade and move on with W10.

Also I'd like to cover the part about setting the security on first run. By default it wants to send loads of information to Microsoft. Best to turn all of that off. I've done that with my main virtual machine, which is a clone of my old laptop so I'll have to wait till I do the next machine.
Suff

Postby Aggers » 13 Aug 2015, 22:17

It all sounds so darned complicated to me, so I think I will continue with my Windows 7.

For me, it's not worth the hassle.
Aggers

Postby Suff » 13 Aug 2015, 22:57

If you want to go the Microsoft route it's all pretty simple.

It offers to install and downloads the files.
You say OK and it does the upgrade.
You log in and it completes the upgrade with the defaults unless you override them.

All pretty painless unless something stops working like your printer or VPN (been reading about that from PureVPN who sent me a mail with instructions to fix it).

However from there it depends on what Microsoft wants and what you want.

If you want to override the Microsoft defaults then you are going to have to look a touch closer than normal and click on some quite small text which is not clearly manifesting itself as a link. Then you will be faced with about 4 pages of options. 90% of which will be OFF if you don't want to send tons of data to Microsoft.

So what I'm talking about here is how to upgrade to Windows10 avoiding any small issues and also customising the process so that it does what you want and not what Microsoft wants. This is not all new, Windows8 did a fair amount of this too.
Suff

Postby Aggers » 14 Aug 2015, 11:37

Thanks, Suff.

My real issue is -- why should I want to change to Windows 10,
when I'm quite happy with what I've got?
Aggers

Postby Suff » 14 Aug 2015, 15:45

Good question.

what it comes down to is support. MS tends to support for 10 years or 3 realeases. Current releases are 7,8,8.1,10. Whilst I think that MS will support W7 for the full 10 years, manufacturers and software companies will focus on the W8 stream which is what W10 is.

W10 is free until July 2016. After that it will cost around £150 or come with a new PC.

Your choice in the end.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 14 Aug 2015, 16:36

Suff, just a suggestion to augment this thread.

A quick google for Dos and Don'ts Windows 10 brings up articles from Techradar, Syvania, Computerworld and so on.

They are general overviews, where your info is more specific, but they could make good companions and might lead to people asking the right questions for you to answer.
Workingman

Next

Return to Computers etc