Windows 10 snippets.

For all those techno questions

Re: Windows 10 snippets.

Postby Suff » 20 Aug 2015, 07:46

On my Netbook I opened the windows10 icon in the system tray and clicked on the button to show progress. When I did that it spent a few hours completing everything then gave me a dialog asking if I wanted to upgrade now or schedule it for later.

I opted for upgrade now.

As far as I can see it does not auto run.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 20 Aug 2015, 20:03

All I keep getting is the notification that M'soft is validating my computer and will notify me.....

I used that tool you supplied, Suff, so have the .iso and will use it when I feel it is needed.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 20 Aug 2015, 20:27

My netbook is now upgraded. When I clicked on the button in the W10 dialog which comes up when you click on the taskbar, asking for status, it opened windows updates and showed a preparation bar. It took quite a while (hours) to complete.

Once that was done I got a new dialog which asked if I wanted to upgrade now or schedule it.

I'm going to create a USB key with the upgrade on it for my main laptop. I just don't want to do all that BS with it. However I had to downgrade my Laptop from Enterprise to Pro 8.1 in order to be able to upgrade at all. Naturally the only option I got was to whack all my apps and only keep my data.

So I'm currently consumed with reinstalling my software. I didn't do the app download because I know I have a whole shedload of crap in the thing which needs to be ripped out. It's a LOT faster again and a bunch of IE issues have vanished.

I still have my windows.old directory but I mainly used other shortcuts to launch my apps so I pretty much know what I really used and what I did not. The biggest issue, funnily enough, was office 2013 from Office365, which knew it was installed but would not refresh the install. I had to download an office uninstaller fixit to resolve the issue.

I have some photo's of the upgrade on the netbook, but will be a bit blocked for a while as I did my "goodbye drink" today and I'm going home tomorrow, I start the new job on Monday and next week will probably consume most of my free time....
Suff

Postby Kaz » 20 Aug 2015, 21:16

I have made this useful thread into a sticky - thanks Suff :ugeek: :)
Kaz

Postby Suff » 20 Aug 2015, 22:35

Thanks Kaz,

You are all very welcome to any of my/our (WM will be as active as me I'm sure), experience in this.

Change and upgrades are never really easy and the best way to avoid the pain is with help, advice and some bits and pieces of information on how to make sure you don't lose what you really need.
Suff

Postby Suff » 27 Aug 2015, 18:26

Still short on time but one to keep.

Windows10 has completely fragmented the hard drives on both the machines I've upgraded. One of the reasons I usually don't upgrade.

My recommendation.

Defrag before you upgrade
Defrag after you upgrade.

I also noticed that after the upgrade Windows had managed to mess up areas that can't be defragmented online. So in the end I used two defragmentation tools. Both free.

My suggested approach.

Defragment with Defraggler before you upgrade. It's quite good for general defragmentation. Make sure you don't check the "Move unused files to the end of the drive". That stops it fully consolidating.

Here's the tricky part.

After the upgrade...

Defragment again with Defraggler until it can't defragment any more. You'll see it leaves fragments behind
Defragment again with Puran defrag, clicking Only on the Boot time defrag with the C drive selected.

Select Reboot Defrag Reboot.

It will reboot the machine, defragment with a black text based interface and then reboot back into Windows.

When it's completed and reboots again, re run puran defrag using the Defrag button with the C drive selected.

Just a point to note here. In Additional Options don't select fill gaps or free some space. Do select Optimise directories and also PIOZR

When Puran has completed for the second time run Defraggler again.

That's cleaned up my VM. My netbook, which was so slow it was almost unusable, is in the process now. It's going to take a few days as the hard drive is very slow and the netbook cpu is not very quick (deliberate choice).

All of this is going to take quite a while, possibly even a day or two, but, however, you should have a machine which is performing about as well as it can given it was an upgrade and not a clean install.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 28 Aug 2015, 15:40

I found this little bit of information.

It could be quite useful for those who are thinking of installing W10 but are worried by some of the security rumours. It is well put together with many screen shots showing what to do and how to do them.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 28 Aug 2015, 17:15

Well that's saved me a bit of work thanks. I have several of these pictures I took from my netbook. But I couldn't do screenshots so this is good.

I don't use Edge. I don't use anyone's browser which demands I put windows where they want them, at the size they want them and only display what they want. I'm using IE for now. So I have no screenshots for it.

This is also the reason I don't use FF, Chrome or Opera.

There is a picture I have which is not in that list and it's the setting your default apps page. I turn all the crApps off, especially as I'm about to remove them.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 29 Aug 2015, 15:01

The crApps are not bothering me yet as I have not installed W10.

However, it looks as though only certain ones can be uninstalled via Windows. To remove some of the "sticky" ones needs lines of code inserted in PoweShell via admin privileges. Is this right? I have found various lists for different things, but they might be too much for many people to attempt.

It is probably a bit too early but I am sure that someone will come up with an app to remove other apps in a simple way. 8-)
Workingman

Postby Suff » 29 Aug 2015, 18:07

As far as I saw it removed all but 3 crApps. One of which is the store and that might actually be useful in about 5 years or so. I didn't bother with them because it was not worth it to investigate any further.

Yes I guess someone will eventually come up with an exe to do the job. It will probably just push powershell commands in the background but if it takes a dynamic list of input from the web that would do me. It could, then, auto update to work around any changes Microsoft make.

Right now I'm fighting issues with my USB 3.0 controller and my USB 3.0 gig-e network adapter on the Netbook. Too early to post anything but I will when I finally get it resolved.
Suff

PreviousNext

Return to Computers etc