Windows 10 snippets.

For all those techno questions

Re: Windows 10 snippets.

Postby TheOstrich » 14 Aug 2015, 19:26

This thread is / will be an interesting read, and thank you guys for your views and advice.

For now, like Aggers, I'm playing a waiting game and not rushing to download and install Windows 10. Windows 7 works well enough for me and if it ain't broke, etc. I may do it before the deadline, I may not. Hardware rather than software issues with my tower are likely to be more pressing, I suspect ......

I'm also waiting for Master O to get W10 up and running on his machine first .... ;)

Anyway, in any event, I assume there's nothing to stop you downloading the free Windows 10 as of now, and simply leave it there, installing it as and when you want to?
TheOstrich

Postby Workingman » 14 Aug 2015, 19:32

TheOstrich wrote:Anyway, in any event, I assume there's nothing to stop you downloading the free Windows 10 as of now, and simply leave it there, installing it as and when you want to?

That is what I have done, Ossie. I have hardware problems as well so will wait until something breaks or I upgrade.

And like you I think this thread by Suff will become popular.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 14 Aug 2015, 20:22

That's a good thought WM.

OK a few things you should do.

If you have _Any_ and I do mean any thoughts that you might be using either software or hardware which is not compatible with W10 or does not have a driver for W10, then a good starting place is the Microsoft Compatibility Center.

If you don't know your product key for Windows or Office (2010 here), then download Magical Jelly Bean and record it on paper. Why paper? Because when your PC is on it's back with it's legs in the air, it's kind of hard to open the document you put it in....

If you have a printer, scanner, or other device connected to your pc (I exclude monitors, keyboards or mice generally), including wireless keyboards and mice, check with the manufacturer if you can't find it on the Microsoft site. Sometimes the manufacturer may have the file and not submitted it to Microsoft to release with Windows Update.

Get the Driver _Before_ upgrading to W10 and put it on a USB key or other portable media.

Personally I would use a wired keyboard and mouse for an upgrade this important if I have a wireless set. I know it should work but for the £7 or so it will cost for both at Asda, is it worth having your PC sitting looking at you and not responding to the keyboard or mouse?

Know what software your are running on your computer. Then you can compare the lists and see what Windows10 removed.

Press Winkey+r
Enter cmd into the window and press enter
type powershell and press enter
type the following in the powershell window and press enter
Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Select-Object -Property Name > c:\users\public\documents\PCapps.txt

You will find a file called PCapps.txt in your public documents folder. To find it, open Windows Explorer (Winkey+e), open Libraries and then open documents and select public documents.
If you change the line to

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Select-Object -Property Name > c:\users\public\documents\PCapps2.txt

when you run it a second time, you will have two lists to compare. Easiest to copy the text into two different Excel columns, side by side and see which does not match.

If you have more than one machine, don't upgrade more until you have completely assured yourself that the first is done, complete and without issues.

Finally, a full backup is _always_ a good idea. External USB storage is not that expensive if you don't have any, it's worth getting it to have that backup. Only the system state and boot drives need to be backed up. If you have a huge second drive, don't back it up. I tend to take the whole drive which my C drive is on because I use 64 bit windows and it creates two partitions for the drive. If you only take C you wind up with a broken system.

Windows Backup is enough, but that presumes that you can restore it if all goes badly wrong. I'll do a whole point on that later.

That's it for right now, I'll be back when I've done a bit more looking and gathered a few more hints.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Suff » 14 Aug 2015, 20:27

Oh and whilst I forget.

There are 3 versions of Windows 10. Enterprise, Pro and Home.

Here comes the pita. All versions of home, starter, basic and premium become just Home in W10. For those who may have paid for an upgrade to premium, this is a slight downgrade as Home in W10 is more aligned with Basic than Premium.
Suff

Postby Suff » 14 Aug 2015, 20:38

And the question I've been looking for the answer for over the last few months...

When you upgrade a Windows 7 or 8.1 system to Windows 10, the installer confirms that you have a “genuine Windows” system installed and activates your computer for use with Windows 10. Note that you don’t actually get a Windows 10 product key — instead, your computer’s hardware is registered with Microsoft’s servers. When you install Windows 10 on that PC again in the future, it will check in with Microsoft’s servers, confirm it’s installed on a registered PC, and automatically activate itself.

If you don’t take advantage of the upgrade process first, this registration will never happen. There’s no way to enter a Windows 7 or 8.1 key into the Windows 10 installer, nor is there some sort of web form that will give you a Windows 10 key if you provide your Windows 7 or 8.1 key. Sorry — you’ll have to upgrade to Windows 10 before you can perform a clean install.

What this means is that unless you have bought Windows10 with a Windows10 key, then you need to upgrade before performing a clean install. It's a bit cack handed and is vitally important to me as I use a lot of virtual machines for which I have Windows8 and Windows7 keys.

It's also good to know. It means that if your upgrade goes Tits, you can simply use the USB key (I'd always recommend downloading to usb and doing the install from there rather than the MS software download) and clean install it. Of course in this case you need your backup for data, software install files, keys for the software you are going to install etc.....
Suff

Postby Workingman » 14 Aug 2015, 21:09

Suff wrote:Finally, a full backup is _always_ a good idea. External USB storage is not that expensive if you don't have any, it's worth getting it to have that backup.

They are also good for keeping software keys, password pairs, and hard to find drivers etc. should you need to reinstall them after, say, an update or a system crash.
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 15 Aug 2015, 14:07

Would it be worthwhile asking the Mods to make this thread a sticky at the top of the board?
Workingman

Postby Suff » 15 Aug 2015, 14:09

Could be. I'm going to do something about imaging and the ability to back out from a failed upgrade/install later. That will need to be a fairly big post on it's own but, I'm hoping, some of us can use it to make sure that W10 is not the disaster from hell.
Suff

Postby TheOstrich » 19 Aug 2015, 11:44

OK, so I have reserved a copy of Windows 10. The PC checked out OK for compatability, the reservation is confirmed, the download complete and the next stage, according to the taskbar icon is "Upgrade - Available". So far, so good .....

However, what I am seeing in Control Panel > Windows Update > Update History is "Upgrade to Windows 10 - Status: Failed" ...... three times. :? And last night I had a "Windows 10" icon in Updates Available, "2.7 something Mb" from memory - but this morning it's gone and I have a "No Important Updates Available" advisory. (The PC is set to automatic updates and Windows 7 updates are proceeding on schedule and as normal.)

So I'm a little bit concerned what is going on over W10. I don't want to proceed with the Upgrade off the taskbar if there's been a glitch in the downloading or anything ....

Any thoughts, guys?
TheOstrich

Postby Suff » 19 Aug 2015, 12:12

You should have a hidden directory with a .~ designation on the boot drive (usually C). If you look in it, there should be circa 3GB of data there.

I think you have to manually initiate the upgrade from the windows 10 icon but I'm not sure. Don't you have to tell it to go do it? I know my netbook kicked in but it was incredibly slow starting, I was typing and the windows 10 upgrade dialog threw itself up, in focus, whilst I was typing so it probably kicked it off.

I've never done the automatic update, I've only used the ISO image. I don't like their downloads and upgrade with media I can't control. Too much chance of things going west.

I'd recommend that you do the powershell commands I typed above to list your current apps. I know that W10 dumped a few of my programs and I did not record them so I'm not sure how many it did dump and it does not give a list like W7 used to.
Suff

PreviousNext

Return to Computers etc