Long runnung script?

For all those techno questions

Re: Long runnung script?

Postby Suff » 18 Dec 2015, 21:14

My list was completely empty. I'll track it.

I use a VM too. I set one up for Popcorn Time before all it's sites were barred. I set it all up then made it non persistent. Didn't care very much what happened to it as I saved the files on a network share and every time I switched it off, it was back to the initial install. Very useful virtual machines in that way but of limited use to most non technical people.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 18 Dec 2015, 21:47

Most sandboxes work well so long as you do not C&P files using MyComputer/Windows Explorer to move them from their download location to somewhere else.

A few AV suites allow the option to run a program in a sandbox with a right click from the menu. 360 Safe does.
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 19 Dec 2015, 13:23

Crumbs !

I've just read through all the posts that have been added to this thread since I thought it had finished,
and I must admit that, even though I have re-read them, I am completely baffled. Much of it is like a
foreign language to me. I don't think I will ever be able to come to terms with much of this technology.

I have, however, seen one or two references which might be helpful (for instance, how to get rid of
some of those intrusive advertisments) and might try them when I have the time, inclination, and courage.
Aggers

Postby Workingman » 19 Dec 2015, 19:52

Aggers, I bet that you have language from your former jobs that would lose us as well.

At least we can help interpret for you (all). ;) :D :D
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 19 Dec 2015, 23:55

Workingman wrote:Aggers, I bet that you have language from your former jobs that would lose us as well.

Of course, WM. No doubt that is true. My comments were really an admision
of my lack of knowledge on this subject, and not intended as a critisism.
Aggers

Postby Suff » 20 Dec 2015, 00:20

My dad used to be like that. But he wrote everything down and took notes and read up further on things. My brother used to browbeat him relentlessly over the years but I've finally managed to get him to the point where he has his own confidence.

He's just bought a new laptop after his SSD died on the old one. All I did was a bit of searching for him, sent him options and let him get on with it. He finally bought a machine which is a bit older but very good spec for a very good price. Is doing his own software installs and updates and even my brother can't denigrate him.

I check up from time to time in case there are issues. Help when required. But it's really good to see him swimming for himself. It does take a while. One of the things I did for him was to give him a subscription to PCWorld Magazine for a year. He then kept it up himself for another 5 years before he felt he did not need it. One of the things about these magazines is they do lots of articles intended to help you understand the technology.

It is a world of jargon. But, consider, Mrs S keeps saying to me "I don't know what HDMI means". there is no way I'm going to say "High Definition Media Interface" Every time I talk about the cables which connect my devices to the TV..... Sometimes Jargon is good. Others it's just too much. I know, I'm leaving a place which has a database of acronyms, Two letter up to Six letter. There are more than 500 of them and they are almost completely unique to the business.

Sunk without trace, can't even see the surface...
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Aggers » 20 Dec 2015, 00:28

Food for thought, indeed, Suff.

I have another small problem now.
Since installing the Firefox Browser, I find I have lost the automatic spelling check feature,
where an error was underlined in red and clicking on it displayed suggested alternative words.
I always found this feature most useful.

EDIT:- I have just found out that I was previously using iespell, which apparently can only be used
with Internet Explorer. Do you know of a similar spelling aid that couuld be used with Firefox?
Aggers

Postby Workingman » 20 Dec 2015, 17:36

Aggers, a couple of things to do.

Open Firefox and click on Settings - three horizontal lines at the top right.

Go to the Options wheel. In the new pop-up window click on Content on the top row then go to the Languages section and click on the Choose button. In the new window you will see that English is at default, however, this is international English and tends to favour Americanisms. Click on the Select a language to add... button and scroll down to English/United Kingdom (en-gb) click to highlight it then click the Add button. This will now appear in the language pane. Single click on it to highlight it then us the Move Up button to take it to the top of the list if it is not already there. OK your way back to Options. Now click on Advanced on the top row and make sure that Check my spelling as I type is ticked.

Close down and restart Firefox and UK English will now be your default language. When you post in VV any mistakes you make will be wavy-underlined. A right click on a mistake will bring up a menu with alternatives.
Workingman

Postby Aggers » 20 Dec 2015, 22:59

Thanks Frank for your help.

Although it didn't work out quite as expected, It did eventually lead me in the right direction, and I found out that
I needed to download a dictionary from their website, as this is necessary for their spell-check to function.
This I did, and hey presto, the spell-checking now works.

Many thanks. :Hi: :Hi: :Hi:
Aggers

Postby Workingman » 21 Dec 2015, 00:27

Aggers wrote:Thanks Frank for your help.

Although it didn't work out quite as expected, It did eventually lead me in the right direction, and I found out that
I needed to download a dictionary from their website, as this is necessary for their spell-check to function.
This I did, and hey presto, the spell-checking now works.

Many thanks. :Hi: :Hi: :Hi:

Ah yes, I forgot that I had a Firefox installation from ages ago. When I downloaded and installed the latest version it went to the old default folders where the en-gb dictionary was already located. At least the job of downloading a new one is relatively painless so I am glad you managed it.

Well done, you seem to be picking up things. :D :D :D
Workingman

Previous

Return to Computers etc